Early 80's 751

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

NorseForce

Looking for any and all info on an early 80's 751. I am lead to believe that back then there really wasn't a unified parts protocol and whatever worked was wrenched in to go. It does have the 2 cyl. Deutz air cooled motor. I am more interested in all the filter P/N's right away. I am googling right now to try and find anything. Thanks!

Tazza

Staff member
probably a 731 , Tazza would know ,I think he had one once.
Excellent memory Jerry :)
That was my first machine, it served be so very well.
731, 2 cylinder Deutz air cooled. With the cab up, or off as mine had to be. It didn't have gas struts, you unbolted the ROPS to gain access. On the pump was a square block with 3 hoses on the left. The pump sits in the same direction as the chain case.
The 751 ran a pug engine, the only model they did that to. The first and last time. The engine sat east west instead of inline. How does your sit? even a picture and we can possibly confirm if it is a 751 or 731. If it is a 751, it has a pretty fance re-power, a picture of that would also be nice!

OP
OP
N

NorseForce

Excellent memory Jerry :)
That was my first machine, it served be so very well.
731, 2 cylinder Deutz air cooled. With the cab up, or off as mine had to be. It didn't have gas struts, you unbolted the ROPS to gain access. On the pump was a square block with 3 hoses on the left. The pump sits in the same direction as the chain case.
The 751 ran a pug engine, the only model they did that to. The first and last time. The engine sat east west instead of inline. How does your sit? even a picture and we can possibly confirm if it is a 751 or 731. If it is a 751, it has a pretty fance re-power, a picture of that would also be nice!
I went to check on it to see if it was a 751, and it is a 731. Makes more sense now. I can find a lot more info now haha. It looks like this week we will be wrenching on it building sa new exhaust for quieter use. All filter change-out and oil change. Probably run some engine flush in ti before and throw some mystery oil in it with the fresh oil. Anyone have any battery suggestions? It needs to be changed, won't hold a charge. Thanks for the replies!!

Tazza

Staff member
I went to check on it to see if it was a 751, and it is a 731. Makes more sense now. I can find a lot more info now haha. It looks like this week we will be wrenching on it building sa new exhaust for quieter use. All filter change-out and oil change. Probably run some engine flush in ti before and throw some mystery oil in it with the fresh oil. Anyone have any battery suggestions? It needs to be changed, won't hold a charge. Thanks for the replies!!
Sounds like the alternator may be bad.
Not sure i'd bother with the fancy oil treatments unless there is a problem. I'd give it a good run, then change the oil.
For starting, when really cold, throttle it up a little, go into the engine bay and press the button on the injector pump, it should drop down. Crank it and see how it starts.
The alternator, if it is not wired right, it will drain the battery. I hooked mine up to a buzzer and light so i knew when the key was not turned off. This had a tendancy to drain my battery.
While you are doing filters, with the cab off, the block i mentioned. 3 hoses on the left, remove the middle hose and fitting. There is a hidden bronze filter in here. Clean or replace it. Not many people know it's there. When clogged, you loose a lot of drive power. This is why i got mine so cheap, when i found out what the problem was, it was awesome.

OP
OP
N

NorseForce

Sounds like the alternator may be bad.
Not sure i'd bother with the fancy oil treatments unless there is a problem. I'd give it a good run, then change the oil.
For starting, when really cold, throttle it up a little, go into the engine bay and press the button on the injector pump, it should drop down. Crank it and see how it starts.
The alternator, if it is not wired right, it will drain the battery. I hooked mine up to a buzzer and light so i knew when the key was not turned off. This had a tendancy to drain my battery.
While you are doing filters, with the cab off, the block i mentioned. 3 hoses on the left, remove the middle hose and fitting. There is a hidden bronze filter in here. Clean or replace it. Not many people know it's there. When clogged, you loose a lot of drive power. This is why i got mine so cheap, when i found out what the problem was, it was awesome.
Awesome info, thank you! Going to run and grab filters, oil and battery tomorrow.