duetz timing belt

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Land-Tech

After reading all the posts concerning the bobcats with the Duetz engines has got me concerned. My 5635 has got 4400 hrs and you are suppose to replace the timing belt every 3000 hrs (edited by skidsteer.ca) or you may experience partial vave train deconstruction. So I head to the local Duetz rep hoping this was just one of those internet myths,but of course is true and he is well stocked with kits for about $100.00.A shop manual for $45,that explained the procedure in no less than five languages,two guide pins to lock crank and cam for $50 and a special belt tensioning/timing tool that is essential for $370. I whined about the price of the timing tool so they rented it to for $25 per day and 2 days free cause the rep says since this is my first time,things unforseen might happen.
So I start tearing down the gehl, there is no performace problem up to now except for replacing the starter earlier this summer. I'm only doing this out of fear the machine may be incapacitated in a inconveint location and the partial valvetrain deconstruction is certainly a driving force. Unbolting the oil coolers is easy,but the battery has to be removed to access cooler bolts and since this engine is cooled with engine oil no antifreeze to deal with,I did unhook one oil line from the engine to allow room to remove the fan. Then the fan cowling came out next which opened up the front of engine with lots of room to work.Removed fan belt and since there is no water pump behind fan there is only a belt pulley on a bearing.This is combined with a mount for the alt.Three bolts and the whole thing can be set aside leaving only the belt cover to be removed. It's a two piece cover that enables you to get to the timing belt with out removing the crank pulley which I think is a good thing.The seal between these cover sections is questionable to me but whether dust and sand can get in seems possible.All I found in my machine was a blackdust I'm sure was from the belt.The cover is attached with four bolts and and one of those unforseen problems in the form of a screw that had a special head that none of my tools seem to fit. I called it an evening
Next day it warmed up, so I had sanding obligations until the afternoon and then I called a local rental place and asked their mechanic what was up.He said It was a Duetz tool that I needed and the fastner was a SPECIAL DESIGN that was made to keep amateurs like me away from the timing belt.I said sure, and proceeded to borrow it. I got home and got as far as starting to line up crank and cam and decided to call it a day. I still have a day on the tool rental and things are going well. I wake up in the morning to more than a minium amount of snow is on the ground that I need to plow.Now a snow event will about 14 hr to complete if there is less than 6 in. Some have to be plowed early most are apartment complexes that I plow when everyone is gone, I have no choice but to spend two hr putting it all together and go plow. Will try again at the next break thanks

skidsteer.ca

That is the main reason instead of going with one new loader, I a have a few older ones. We have quite a bit of off season time which allows me to bring things back into shape and still keep a running unit in the yard.
If you have time to take pics and put them up here (I'm willing to help with that) it would sure be great to see the steps to this.
Ken

mllud

That is the main reason instead of going with one new loader, I a have a few older ones. We have quite a bit of off season time which allows me to bring things back into shape and still keep a running unit in the yard.
If you have time to take pics and put them up here (I'm willing to help with that) it would sure be great to see the steps to this.
Ken
Ken: I think the step by step repair, with pictures and some caption type explanations are great. On some of these common repairs could do wonders. I know repair manual have copyrites. but if a guy had a manual and took his own pictures and used the manual or his knowledge as a guide and put the steps in his own wording.If there was something like the media section to load pictures and add captions that explain what to do or how to do it.The alphabetical order would make it easier to find When you point to the media the options are vedio and pictures. I dont know if there could be a third option dedicated to step by step repairs.I had to train pressmen for a printing co. back in the 80s . I knew what to teach but had to borrow the basic format from a repair manual to put Our process on paper. I dont know if the forum could have a section like Eric did with his thread on Posting Pictures.
Thats all work and people have to be willing to do it.I know that Owensge,Tassa and Yourself. Move threads around . to keep thing together..Finding how to do things is not easy thru the search option. I dont know if there a way to use alphabet.to roganize threads by posting threads with standard subjects .Hope this makes sence. [The forum is great the way it is.] Im just running on. This should be posted under the suggestion heading. I have to adjust linkage to stop creep on my lx865. Ill try to get it in step by step under pictures.Ill put under ,Stop Creep. When it gets warmer .Mike

mllud

Ken: I think the step by step repair, with pictures and some caption type explanations are great. On some of these common repairs could do wonders. I know repair manual have copyrites. but if a guy had a manual and took his own pictures and used the manual or his knowledge as a guide and put the steps in his own wording.If there was something like the media section to load pictures and add captions that explain what to do or how to do it.The alphabetical order would make it easier to find When you point to the media the options are vedio and pictures. I dont know if there could be a third option dedicated to step by step repairs.I had to train pressmen for a printing co. back in the 80s . I knew what to teach but had to borrow the basic format from a repair manual to put Our process on paper. I dont know if the forum could have a section like Eric did with his thread on Posting Pictures.
Thats all work and people have to be willing to do it.I know that Owensge,Tassa and Yourself. Move threads around . to keep thing together..Finding how to do things is not easy thru the search option. I dont know if there a way to use alphabet.to roganize threads by posting threads with standard subjects .Hope this makes sence. [The forum is great the way it is.] Im just running on. This should be posted under the suggestion heading. I have to adjust linkage to stop creep on my lx865. Ill try to get it in step by step under pictures.Ill put under ,Stop Creep. When it gets warmer .Mike
Sorry Tazza I typed tassa. Mike

OP
OP
L

Land-Tech

Ken
thanks for the reply. I am taking pics and the whole idea of the thread is do it, and give others an idea of what it takes to do these repairs.This site has a lot hands on experience and a lot of interesting untold stories that I would like to see on a thread. Maybe if I don't bore everyone to death, I can add something to the site.
I'll try and upload/down load some pics today,thanks for the offer

Tazza

Staff member
thanks for the reply. I am taking pics and the whole idea of the thread is do it, and give others an idea of what it takes to do these repairs.This site has a lot hands on experience and a lot of interesting untold stories that I would like to see on a thread. Maybe if I don't bore everyone to death, I can add something to the site.
I'll try and upload/down load some pics today,thanks for the offer

I think its a good idea!
I may even do it for a hydro pump i am in the process of cleaning out and re-sealing also the timing of a Peugeot engine (very simple compared to your detuz). I also have cylinders to do so i can detail that as well. I think it would save a lot of time replying to posts that have already been covered.
Maybe we can create a repair FAQ section, including pictures and details then when all the info is there lock the post to keep it as clean as possible.?

OP
OP
L

Land-Tech

I think its a good idea!
I may even do it for a hydro pump i am in the process of cleaning out and re-sealing also the timing of a Peugeot engine (very simple compared to your detuz). I also have cylinders to do so i can detail that as well. I think it would save a lot of time replying to posts that have already been covered.
Maybe we can create a repair FAQ section, including pictures and details then when all the info is there lock the post to keep it as clean as possible.?
P1200028Small.jpg image by LANDTEKK
P1200030Small.jpg image by LANDTEKK

Ok I have downloaded a couple of practice pics.I promise I will take better pics ,but are they big enough or is there a way to enlarge for detail. thanks scott

Tazza

Staff member
Ok I have downloaded a couple of practice pics.I promise I will take better pics ,but are they big enough or is there a way to enlarge for detail. thanks scott
Bigger pictures would be better, even if you linked to where you store them on photo bucket. On here we have limits on picture sizes, the higher the rez. the more we can see. But i guess we will take what we can get hold of, unless someone knows a good picture hosting site?

mllud

Bigger pictures would be better, even if you linked to where you store them on photo bucket. On here we have limits on picture sizes, the higher the rez. the more we can see. But i guess we will take what we can get hold of, unless someone knows a good picture hosting site?
If the people stuck to the machine brand name to start the subject: title the media section automatically put things in alpha. order. Just a thought on a way to index things. As an example Bobcat: timing belt change. Or Duetz: Timing Belt Change. Mike

mllud

If the people stuck to the machine brand name to start the subject: title the media section automatically put things in alpha. order. Just a thought on a way to index things. As an example Bobcat: timing belt change. Or Duetz: Timing Belt Change. Mike
By the way the forum is a great source of information. I have noticed a lot of repeat subject matter. I believe its all due to not having a way to index subjects .I am not very up on computers and programs. I dont know if its even feasable or possible.Please dont take my suggestion as critisizing the forum. Mike

jerry

By the way the forum is a great source of information. I have noticed a lot of repeat subject matter. I believe its all due to not having a way to index subjects .I am not very up on computers and programs. I dont know if its even feasable or possible.Please dont take my suggestion as critisizing the forum. Mike
I think the repeat thread thing happens because new users are not aware of the amount of info available by using the search feature or reading the previous thread list that comes up when you go to a brand listing. As you say it is a great source of info and interesting to read even if a person may never own a lot of this equipment.

mllud

I think the repeat thread thing happens because new users are not aware of the amount of info available by using the search feature or reading the previous thread list that comes up when you go to a brand listing. As you say it is a great source of info and interesting to read even if a person may never own a lot of this equipment.
Jerry: Your right most of the information is there if you look. After I found this forum I read every thread under every catagory over a week or two in spare time. I think the is the information here is priceless The Search option would work better if the topics under the brand name were more standard.It might keep certain topics and repairs from being repeated I have seen subjects that I thought I have seen before. I try a search to direct the person to that information and it doent seem to come up. searches work off of key words. I guess Im missing something I enJoy reading every post.This Is the only forum Ive ever read or responded to. I think the alphabetical order in the media section has potential to give good repair help with pictures.Especially with timing belts and such. things hard to explain without pictures.Thanks Mike

owensge

Jerry: Your right most of the information is there if you look. After I found this forum I read every thread under every catagory over a week or two in spare time. I think the is the information here is priceless The Search option would work better if the topics under the brand name were more standard.It might keep certain topics and repairs from being repeated I have seen subjects that I thought I have seen before. I try a search to direct the person to that information and it doent seem to come up. searches work off of key words. I guess Im missing something I enJoy reading every post.This Is the only forum Ive ever read or responded to. I think the alphabetical order in the media section has potential to give good repair help with pictures.Especially with timing belts and such. things hard to explain without pictures.Thanks Mike
This is really good input! I can make the SEARCH piece more visible to the users, maybe position it next to the "New Thread" button with a ("Before you create a new thread, try a Search") blurb.
Also, the SEARCH sometimes won't happen unless you click the "GO" button. I know alot of folks expect to type in some search text and press ENTER to continue, but here it's not the case.
I can add an item to the dropdown in the user profile to allow sorting by alpha. Currently we just have "Newest" and "Oldest".
I think a FAQ section with photos would be great.

mllud

This is really good input! I can make the SEARCH piece more visible to the users, maybe position it next to the "New Thread" button with a ("Before you create a new thread, try a Search") blurb.
Also, the SEARCH sometimes won't happen unless you click the "GO" button. I know alot of folks expect to type in some search text and press ENTER to continue, but here it's not the case.
I can add an item to the dropdown in the user profile to allow sorting by alpha. Currently we just have "Newest" and "Oldest".
I think a FAQ section with photos would be great.
Owensge : I do believe I have been using the enter button the do the search.Ill click search. Ken . Tazza Trihonu steerclan and several others do post pictures with explainations sometimes.It seems they get worked hard on some repeat subjects. Im sure they enjoy the interaction and helping. I would guess there are times they would like to refer someone to a previous thread.I You already have the bases covered with the brand names and all . I know very little about prgrams and computers.If some of my rambling is a little out of touch with reality Poor computer skills may explain that.When I do my next repair Ill get it with pictures and captions.Troubleshooting and opinions about subjects are always going to change. Some of these common ,and repeat repairs can be made available thru refering to #1 well done thread. I only have an old N/H..Ill try to do so with that 1 machine. Thanks Mike

Tazza

Staff member
Owensge : I do believe I have been using the enter button the do the search.Ill click search. Ken . Tazza Trihonu steerclan and several others do post pictures with explainations sometimes.It seems they get worked hard on some repeat subjects. Im sure they enjoy the interaction and helping. I would guess there are times they would like to refer someone to a previous thread.I You already have the bases covered with the brand names and all . I know very little about prgrams and computers.If some of my rambling is a little out of touch with reality Poor computer skills may explain that.When I do my next repair Ill get it with pictures and captions.Troubleshooting and opinions about subjects are always going to change. Some of these common ,and repeat repairs can be made available thru refering to #1 well done thread. I only have an old N/H..Ill try to do so with that 1 machine. Thanks Mike
I pulled down and cleaned a sunstrand pump for my 751 today, hopefully i will get time to put it all up over the next few days. My main issue is hosting the pictures. They can be stored here but they loose quality doing that, i'd rather store them so you can see more detail.

OP
OP
L

Land-Tech

I pulled down and cleaned a sunstrand pump for my 751 today, hopefully i will get time to put it all up over the next few days. My main issue is hosting the pictures. They can be stored here but they loose quality doing that, i'd rather store them so you can see more detail.
I received a Deutz service and training brochure from a gentleman from Nova Scotia with much better info than the manual I bought.Clarifies many questions that I had. This has very good step by step illistrations and instructions.I will change out this week and give update.
Also the recommended replacement hours that I stated in previous post is upped to 3000 hr, which sounds more realistic than 1500 hr. I really do try to make sure my facts are right before I commit to text and hit the send button but this one got by. Thanks

skidsteer.ca

I received a Deutz service and training brochure from a gentleman from Nova Scotia with much better info than the manual I bought.Clarifies many questions that I had. This has very good step by step illistrations and instructions.I will change out this week and give update.
Also the recommended replacement hours that I stated in previous post is upped to 3000 hr, which sounds more realistic than 1500 hr. I really do try to make sure my facts are right before I commit to text and hit the send button but this one got by. Thanks
I edited the hours on your previous post, you can edit your posts too! :)
Ken

OP
OP
L

Land-Tech

I edited the hours on your previous post, you can edit your posts too! :)
Ken
Okay, it's two months later and I finally replaced the belt.everything went fine.Also adjusted valves.exhaust sounds a little better. Total cost was under 300 dollars.$125 for belt and idler, $35 for timing pins,$50 for lousy manual, and the belt tension gauge was $25 per day. Took about 6 hours to do but I was probably too careful Scott

Tazza

Staff member
Okay, it's two months later and I finally replaced the belt.everything went fine.Also adjusted valves.exhaust sounds a little better. Total cost was under 300 dollars.$125 for belt and idler, $35 for timing pins,$50 for lousy manual, and the belt tension gauge was $25 per day. Took about 6 hours to do but I was probably too careful Scott
Very nice!
Did you happen to take any piccies? it would be interesting to see the timing pins. My Pug engine simply uses threaded dowels which i made in my lathe.