Gehl Duetz Diesel Smokes Bad

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

hdvideo381

Recently purchased a 1998 Gehl sxt 6635 turbo Skid Steer... Ran fine until something in the engine caused a push rod to bend resulting in a trip to the shop to replace that and a damaged piston... I dont know much about these engines or what would be wrong with it now as we just got it back and it smokes bad.... after a few minutes of warming up it continues to smoke black. Its hard to even see and it seems like its getting worse especially when you give it a workout...im afraid its something else going after they did that work! I was thinking its something with fuel... could it be an injector? Im clueless which is why Im here and in need of some help from the experts! What could be some things for me to check before taking it in and costing more $$$ : ( Thanks Alot! any help would be great!

Tazza

Staff member
It could be timing, they run a timing belt? you sure its been set correctly?
An injector could too cause this, as could a bad turbo.
Sorry, i don't know what engine they run.

landtekk

It could be timing, they run a timing belt? you sure its been set correctly?
An injector could too cause this, as could a bad turbo.
Sorry, i don't know what engine they run.
It's probably a Duetz 1011 , and it sounds more like the turbo. The engine is direct injected and I would think that would be a miss and it would run rough if one cyl wasn't working. Check the air filters And then pull the intake hose off the turbo and look for oil. The timing could be an issue if they didn't use a tension gauge. But if it has gotten worse since you got it back from the shop, maybe the turbo did go out. Good luck