Drive Question

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Idoitall

In my search for a machine I have tested several machines, but haven't noticed this before and was wondering if this is normal or problematic.

I understand the basic principles of the drive system, having a motor and chain system for each side and pressing the stick to add flow/pressure from the pump to the motor to move that side. And by moving forward on one side while moving in reverse on the other side will result in very quick response turns. Here's my question. While testing a 753, I noticed that while moving forward at mid speed, if I let either stick return to the center/detent position while pressing the other stick forward, the machine continues to run more or less straight (no whining or growling). Part of me says this is OK, but I still question it. So, is this normal for Bobcats, or maybe skid steers in general?

I appreciate this site and your knowledge and experiences.

skidsteer.ca

You sure you got the stick back fullt to center, because that should stop the tires from turning on that side. If you let go of one stick while holding the other, often the stick stays in the same place. But if your sure you pulled it back then something sounds amiss.
Sometimes it takes a bit to get a feel for center because the stick your holding forward takes the pressure off the centering spring of the lever that your pulling back, until you go past neutral, when you start into reverse it gets "stiff" again.
This "steering stays where you left it feature" makes it nice if you need to take one hand off a steering lever for a few seconds while traveling.
But if you pulled the steering lever back the machine should be progressively turning sharper towards the side your pulling back as the wheels on that side rotate slower and slower untill they would stop when the stick reaches center, then begin to rotate in reverse if you go back any farther.
Hope that makes some sense. If in doubt, test drive another loader.
Ken

Tazza

Staff member
You sure you got the stick back fullt to center, because that should stop the tires from turning on that side. If you let go of one stick while holding the other, often the stick stays in the same place. But if your sure you pulled it back then something sounds amiss.
Sometimes it takes a bit to get a feel for center because the stick your holding forward takes the pressure off the centering spring of the lever that your pulling back, until you go past neutral, when you start into reverse it gets "stiff" again.
This "steering stays where you left it feature" makes it nice if you need to take one hand off a steering lever for a few seconds while traveling.
But if you pulled the steering lever back the machine should be progressively turning sharper towards the side your pulling back as the wheels on that side rotate slower and slower untill they would stop when the stick reaches center, then begin to rotate in reverse if you go back any farther.
Hope that makes some sense. If in doubt, test drive another loader.
Ken
When on flat ground that sounds normal if you just let the stick go. My machines will keep tracking straight if you push both forward and let one go. But up a hill it will return the one lever to centre and the machine will pull to one side. Like ken said, if you return the stick to neutral that side should lock up and NOT move. You should be able to hold one stick in centre and push the other one and the side in centre should stay still.
It would be a good idea to test a few others just to be sure but it sounds rite to me. But its best to test them, you don't want to be rebuilding a pump!

pelpel

Hi, mine will keep moving more / less forward if I take my hand of one of the levers, kind nice if you a have an itch to deal with. Once I pull back on one or the other, then it turns as expected.......

OP
OP
I

Idoitall

Hi, mine will keep moving more / less forward if I take my hand of one of the levers, kind nice if you a have an itch to deal with. Once I pull back on one or the other, then it turns as expected.......
Thanks for the replies. Now I'll know what seems normal. And yes, we all have that itch occasionally, and one must scratch!!!!