Disabled machine parking brake release

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Voit

This is a question regarding preparing for a hypothetical, yet eventual situation. I know that someday I will need to move my C238 in a disabled condition. I'm trying to figure out if there is a mechanical method to release the parking brake system to tow this machine if it ever becomes disabled. In other words to get it on a trailer for transport etc. I have both the complete service manual and operators manual for this machine and there seems to be no provision for doing this which I find hard to believe. About the only thing I see in relation to this is how to sling and lift the entire machine. Not a very practical or efficient way of dealing with this scenario. Does anyone know of a method for releasing the parking brake without the machine running and an operator in the seat?
I try to avoid doing any "in the field" repairs if I can help it.

brdgbldr

This is a question regarding preparing for a hypothetical, yet eventual situation. I know that someday I will need to move my C238 in a disabled condition. I'm trying to figure out if there is a mechanical method to release the parking brake system to tow this machine if it ever becomes disabled. In other words to get it on a trailer for transport etc. I have both the complete service manual and operators manual for this machine and there seems to be no provision for doing this which I find hard to believe. About the only thing I see in relation to this is how to sling and lift the entire machine. Not a very practical or efficient way of dealing with this scenario. Does anyone know of a method for releasing the parking brake without the machine running and an operator in the seat?
I try to avoid doing any "in the field" repairs if I can help it.
First off, I'm not familiar with your machine but with most skid steers it's not only the brake that needs to be released.

The drive motors will normally be hydraulically locked if the pump is not turning. Sometimes this can be overcome by opening the drive valves, or on a mechanical machine, pushing the drive levers in the direction you want the machine to move. Otherwise, the hydraulic lines to the motors can be removed allowing the motors to turn.

If the machine is accessible to a tow truck, they can usually just wench the machine onto the bed. I have witnessed tow truck drivers that have recovered machines from spots that I though would have been impossible To ever get the machine out.

tech.35058

I also am not familiar with your machine.
On some of the Caterpillar drive motors I worked on, the parking brake was spring applied, hydraulically released. On the center of the brake cover, there would be a plug, through which a puller bolt could be installed to compress the spring, & release the brake. check your parts diagrams for additional clues to correct technique, if no one gives you more solid info.

OP
OP
V

Voit

I can't find anything that relates to any emergency release mechanism. This machine has EH controls so all electro-hydraulic actuation. Looking at the drive motor assembly drawings I don't see any mechanical release. Access to get to them would be an issue even if there was a bolt (like an air brake can might have). In looking at the hydraulic circuit diagram, it looks like the drive motors have specific hydraulic lines to them for releasing the brake(s). So other than adding a way to pressurize (hand pump) and hold pressure in the circuit the brakes will be locked. The circuit is likely normally open so it would need a hand valve added as well. I cant believe there no way to override the parking brake.

Ster1

C238 is a tracked machine. Pull the cores out of the planetaries and she'll roll on the tracks. Easy peezy.