Deere 250 Series 2 Hydrostatic oil temp

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

jdeere57

I have just bought a deere 250 with 1700 hrs, great looking well maintained machine, the hydrostatic oil temp light comes on and I have siphoned enough oil out of the tank to get a temperature reading of about 140,,this was after about 20 minutes of pretty good workout ,,I downloaded a tech manual from the net and it says the oil should be about 110,,,the oil cooler looks good and clean,,,,,, everything else abut the machine is tight and works as it should, Hydro itself is very strong,,,,,any thought on what is bringing the oil temp up,,,BTW, I don't have a manual.......TIA......John

Tazza

Staff member
Cavetation is another cause of an over heating system. Is there any foam/bubbles in the oil tank when you had a peek at it?
It can be caused by a plugged filter or a leak that allows air to get in to the system. It causes the pumps to get hot a lot faster than they should.
Is your cooling fan running correctly too?

skidsteer.ca

Cavetation is another cause of an over heating system. Is there any foam/bubbles in the oil tank when you had a peek at it?
It can be caused by a plugged filter or a leak that allows air to get in to the system. It causes the pumps to get hot a lot faster than they should.
Is your cooling fan running correctly too?
Generally speaking 140 is not hot imo, 240 is hot, cooler is better usually, but 110 is barely up to temp. I would not sweat 140.
Here is a link to a 240 250 series 1 manual http://www.mediafire.com/?l22595v2mp03t
See what it says
Ken

finn01

Generally speaking 140 is not hot imo, 240 is hot, cooler is better usually, but 110 is barely up to temp. I would not sweat 140.
Here is a link to a 240 250 series 1 manual http://www.mediafire.com/?l22595v2mp03t
See what it says
Ken
Did you ever figure out why your machine is overheating the hydraulic system? My 1100 hour 240 started doing the same thing last week. The manual diagnostics suggests the pump is worn, with the resulting reduced pump efficiency causing high hydraulic temperatures. I don't have the test setup to verify flow, and the nearest dealer is over a hundred miles away. The machine still has sufficient flow to lift the rear wheels when grubbing stumps, although there may be some reduction in lift when the light comes on. Anyone have a lead on a good source for new / rebuilt pumps if it comes to that? alan

Tazza

Staff member
Did you ever figure out why your machine is overheating the hydraulic system? My 1100 hour 240 started doing the same thing last week. The manual diagnostics suggests the pump is worn, with the resulting reduced pump efficiency causing high hydraulic temperatures. I don't have the test setup to verify flow, and the nearest dealer is over a hundred miles away. The machine still has sufficient flow to lift the rear wheels when grubbing stumps, although there may be some reduction in lift when the light comes on. Anyone have a lead on a good source for new / rebuilt pumps if it comes to that? alan
Alan - If the pump is a little worn, it will still have the lifting power, it will just be lacking in flow. Lifting the machine off the ground isn't really a good test for this.
Are there any hydraulic shops near you? they could put a flow meter on the pump and tell you if the flow rate is down or not, you don't need to only deal with the dealer for this. They should remove the hose from the pump and run it through a restricting valve and a flow meter.