cracked head on T190

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Brickman88

well I have to replace the head on my T190, Bobcat dealer wants around $1600 or so for one plus $180 for gasket set. They said they let me buy one and they would put it on for me, so can anyone tell me what would be wrong with that? I seen some on ebay for $800 including gasket set and 6 month warranty. I know bobcat won't warranty it if I buy aftermarket but to save that much I think I might take my chances, I need some advice! Or maybe someone has another source for heads they could help me with.

Tazza

Staff member
I can't see any reason why not go for an ebay one.
Why did the old one crack? did you get it hot? ensure the cooling system is in good condition, radiator has to be clean. It really doesn't take much to crack a head on these.

OP
OP
B

Brickman88

I can't see any reason why not go for an ebay one.
Why did the old one crack? did you get it hot? ensure the cooling system is in good condition, radiator has to be clean. It really doesn't take much to crack a head on these.
yes the radiator had a whole in it and it red lined before I knew it, so I took it in and had it fixed but it was to late, as soon as I put it all back together it was blowing water out the muffler, I started to take the head off myself but I'm to busy and I just didn't trust myself on this job, thought I better call in the pro's

Tazza

Staff member
yes the radiator had a whole in it and it red lined before I knew it, so I took it in and had it fixed but it was to late, as soon as I put it all back together it was blowing water out the muffler, I started to take the head off myself but I'm to busy and I just didn't trust myself on this job, thought I better call in the pro's
Yeah, that would do the trick.....
Replacing these heads is actually quite easy. Hopefully nothing got bent from the water in the cylinders too.

OP
OP
B

Brickman88

Yeah, that would do the trick.....
Replacing these heads is actually quite easy. Hopefully nothing got bent from the water in the cylinders too.
well I got my T190 back from shop, runs good, now its back to work. the ebay head done the trick

OP
OP
B

Brickman88

Good to hear it, the head was about 1/2 the price the dealer wanted?
about 1/3, they wanted $1500 and I got it for $600, it was an original Kubota remanufactured head from an outfit called "farm grainer" I think, I did use bobcat head gasket because "farm grainer" head gasket was about seemed a little cheap, they said it was about half the thickness, it was only about $30 more.

Tazza

Staff member
about 1/3, they wanted $1500 and I got it for $600, it was an original Kubota remanufactured head from an outfit called "farm grainer" I think, I did use bobcat head gasket because "farm grainer" head gasket was about seemed a little cheap, they said it was about half the thickness, it was only about $30 more.
That is a good saving there. I'm with you on the gasket, half the thickness isn't good as they are meant to be a set thickness so the pistons don't touch the head. For $30 more, you know you have a quality gasket.

Latest posts