Cover the exhaust on a 863?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

jerry

I don't see anything making it threw the muffler to hurt the engine.
This is a old discussion , one member had the turbo on logging equipment go bad after a long road trip. Its the air spinning the turbo without oil supply that concerned some. On a longer trip it might be something to think about.

antfarmer2

This is a old discussion , one member had the turbo on logging equipment go bad after a long road trip. Its the air spinning the turbo without oil supply that concerned some. On a longer trip it might be something to think about.
Why take a chance soup can and bailing wire is cheap

Tazza

Staff member
Why take a chance soup can and bailing wire is cheap
This has come up before.
I personally don't see how a turbo could spool up when not running, the valves should never over lap with inlet and exhaust on a cylinder to allow air to flow through them allowing the turbine to move.
With that said, there was a member that had a turbo die after a trip, it could have just been bad luck that it died as it shut down, and the issue was noticed when he got to the job site.
It also takes quite a large volume of air to make the turbine spin, a lot more than i would believe could get through a system if the valves did over lap a little, they are never fully open at the same time.

bobcatguy

I rarely haul a machine backwards on my trailer but when I do I cover the exhaust pipe. turbo's are expensive, a plastic water bottle or some duct tape is cheap.