Bobcat 743 Lever on Valve Cover

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

dwcrigler

Hi guys, I'm working on tuning up a 1981 bobcat 743 that I recently bought. While looking over the motor and changing filters I noticed this lever with spring on the valve cover that has no movement what so ever. I'm troubleshooting the fact that the machine constantly smokes so just wanted to ask if anyone knows what this lever (photo attached) is used for and if it should be able to move freely with the spring for some function?

I've attached a photo for reference. If anyone has any insights I would truly appreciate it. I've searched high and low but can't figure out what this lever is for.

Attachments

• IMG_5194 2.png
    IMG_5194 2.png
    509.6 KB · Views: 59

Tazza

Staff member
That is a decompression lever, it holds the exhaust valves slightly open, it lets you spin the motor up and flick it off to get it to fire.

I do not believe this was installed as factory, it was used in boats and tractors mainly. Good for when you have a weak battery, gets the inertia up then you flick it off and the motor starts.

What colour smoke are you getting, smoke colour tells a lot.

Markle

Your other related post said one cylinder didn't glow and all cylinders have low compression….so I guess your "smoke" is unburned atomized diesel.

Latest posts