couplings for Ford CL20 , CL30

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Lynn Perkins

Hi, Don, Glad to hear from you. I finally got New Holland to look see if this coupling could still be purchased no luck. But I think I found a way around connecting the Wisconsin 1-3/8" straight shaft with the pump 7/8" 13 spline. Martin sprocket Half for 1-3/8" engine. Martin sprocket 1-1/2" with the weldable or machineable 7/8" 13 spline solid coupling from Surplus Center with 1-1/2" O.D. I will probably weld but it would be simple to cut a key way and combine the 1-1/2" sprocket on the solid 13 spline coupling. The Martin sprockets were stocked at Texas Bearing Amarillo. May be one down your way. The #50 double chain is Browning I think also TX Bearing. TX Bearing also had seal kits and some parts for the double 70142 Cessna-Eaton Piston pumps. Eaton library on line has the picture and parts #'s for this pump. I looked all over the internet trying to get parts for the number's stamped on the mount flange. The letters at the back of the 70142 on my pumps keyed to a Erkison Ford number which New Holland has put in the obsolete bin. I think I found several remanfact. trannies in the $1200 to $1600 range. I have had one of mine apart and back together and it still worked. I was amazed it worked. Parts are expensive but much less than the remanufacture tran. I use a little air high speed grinder with a small 4" x 1/8" metal cutting disc to grind off chain pin ends then use a #50 chain splice tool to push out the pin. I have used a punch and hammer to knock out the pin. You can cut the link. There should be a master link on the chain I think. This probably more info than you want to read, later

Don Shilling

The Cl-20 must be different than the 30's and 40's because I only have a small hole about 2" square to work thru. I'll try to get a pic tomorrow. The manual does not cover dissasembly of the coupling. I have to disconnect the coupling to separate the pump from the engine and working thru that hole is almost impossible.

OP
OP
L

Lynn Perkins

The Cl-20 must be different than the 30's and 40's because I only have a small hole about 2" square to work thru. I'll try to get a pic tomorrow. The manual does not cover dissasembly of the coupling. I have to disconnect the coupling to separate the pump from the engine and working thru that hole is almost impossible.
OK, you just confirmed I would have difficulty connecting the chain coupling inside the Hydro Mount I have ordered. Is there is no master link to the chain on your machine? My next thought is try to locate set screw in either half sprocket and slide out over shafts. As soon as I get all the stuff I have ordered I will take pictures also. When you get time measure the back of the CL 30 where the engine goes. I want to see if the CL20 is the same as the CL30. I ran one of my CL20,s with a 4 cylinder Int. Scout motor. We do not want to get into that retrofit repower now. I really thought the end result of that mess was hysterical. Anything is possible if you put enough red neck engineering into it. later.

Don Shilling

OK, you just confirmed I would have difficulty connecting the chain coupling inside the Hydro Mount I have ordered. Is there is no master link to the chain on your machine? My next thought is try to locate set screw in either half sprocket and slide out over shafts. As soon as I get all the stuff I have ordered I will take pictures also. When you get time measure the back of the CL 30 where the engine goes. I want to see if the CL20 is the same as the CL30. I ran one of my CL20,s with a 4 cylinder Int. Scout motor. We do not want to get into that retrofit repower now. I really thought the end result of that mess was hysterical. Anything is possible if you put enough red neck engineering into it. later.
I've rotated and looked many times and have found no master link clip. Since the sprockets and chain are worn and will be replaced, I'll just cut the chain, get it all out in the open and determine how it was originally assembled. Removal of the set screws should work nicely if the sprockets are not rusted tightly to the shafts. The engine bay, between the chain cases, measures 27 3/4". You really need to use an engine with the distributor mounted on top because a side mount distributor or magneto will be impossible to service with the engine installed. Photobucket

OP
OP
L

Lynn Perkins

I've rotated and looked many times and have found no master link clip. Since the sprockets and chain are worn and will be replaced, I'll just cut the chain, get it all out in the open and determine how it was originally assembled. Removal of the set screws should work nicely if the sprockets are not rusted tightly to the shafts. The engine bay, between the chain cases, measures 27 3/4". You really need to use an engine with the distributor mounted on top because a side mount distributor or magneto will be impossible to service with the engine installed.
My Hydro Mount is suppose to have 2 windows as per drawing. The CL 20 has an offset at the back for a smaller engine mount. Stock was an 2 cylinder Onan with female splines in the shaft end and cast iron pump bolt plate. There will be 24 " from the plate mount at front piston pump to where the 6-1/2" Hydro mount bolts to the engine. When the engine and pump mount are in place beginning with the plate mount the distributor will be at the end of the back of the machine with engine hanging over 10 -12 " Easy access by pulling left pin and swinging out of the way. I have made some 2" x 6" extender steel column peaces that pin where the weights go from the Scout motor contraption. The Wisconsin will hang over, but the extenders protect it and the oil cooler radiator. I may or may not need the weights at back. I have some brackets that I set the weights on the side that can be slid forward or backward for counter weight. Red neck engineering, but it worked.