Correct (Safe) way to load on trailer?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

That's the case with my 773 also. I have a gooseneck trailer and with the steel tracks we have to be careful to load the Bobcat only when the trailer is level both ways. Believe me, with the steel tracks, and an unlevel dovetail trailer, the Bobcat will slide off. This happened to my son the first time he loaded it on our trailer, and it wasn't a pleasant experience. He was loading the Bobcat at a jobsite and the road the trailer was parked on made the trailer have a slight tilt to the side and to the rear. So when he was driving it up on the trailer and when it was on the dovetail, it started sliding. It went off the rear corner and just laid over. He was ok and it didn't damage the Bobcat, but after about three months now, he's just feeling comfortable about loading it on the trailer again. But now, he definitely checks to make sure the trailer is level before loading. So be "careful" if you have steel tracks when loading the Bobcat onto a gooseneck trailer with a dovetail.
Is it true to back it up the trailer even if it has a turbo and do i plug the exhaust if i back it on the trailer?

Tazza

Staff member
Is it true to back it up the trailer even if it has a turbo and do i plug the exhaust if i back it on the trailer?
Some say you need to plug the exhaust if its a turbo, i honestly doubt there could be enough valve overlap to allow the turbo to spool up and be damaged but there was a member here that hauled his machine and started it up, it blew black smoke due to the turbo going out, was it just chance that it died before the trip? who knows. It doesn't take much to plug the exhaust if you are in doubt.

frogfarmer

Some say you need to plug the exhaust if its a turbo, i honestly doubt there could be enough valve overlap to allow the turbo to spool up and be damaged but there was a member here that hauled his machine and started it up, it blew black smoke due to the turbo going out, was it just chance that it died before the trip? who knows. It doesn't take much to plug the exhaust if you are in doubt.
I have hauled all kinds of equipment with turbos never gave a thought to air rushing past a closed system. Also never had a turbo fail due to this scenario. I do however seal the exhaust stack of any equipment that is to be hauled in the rain. You might be surprized how much water can get in at 50 MPH in a down pour.

Tazza

Staff member
I have hauled all kinds of equipment with turbos never gave a thought to air rushing past a closed system. Also never had a turbo fail due to this scenario. I do however seal the exhaust stack of any equipment that is to be hauled in the rain. You might be surprized how much water can get in at 50 MPH in a down pour.
In the rain i totally agree, just like a funnel.

Latest posts