compression release on 1300 hd scattrac

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

sjp1948

I have a 1300hd scattrack skidsteer. On top of the valve cover there seems to be a compression release , it has a lever and return spring on it. Is this supposed to be hooked up some way to ease starting.

Tazza

Staff member
If it cranks and starts easily, don't worry about it. I believe they add the compression release to assist with spinning large loads, get it up to speed then shut off the compression release to allow the engine to start.
I have had Kubota engines with the compression release, bt were never hooked up on the equipment, its just there if the manufacturer of the equipment wanted it.

OP
OP
S

sjp1948

If it cranks and starts easily, don't worry about it. I believe they add the compression release to assist with spinning large loads, get it up to speed then shut off the compression release to allow the engine to start.
I have had Kubota engines with the compression release, bt were never hooked up on the equipment, its just there if the manufacturer of the equipment wanted it.
Thanks for info. Machine always was hard to start, starter rebuilt, needs sniff of ether to start. It will start if you preheat about 1 and a half min. Has new glow plugs, 3200 hrs on machine. Always wonder why it was hard to start, new filters installed also, any help would be thankful.

Tazza

Staff member
Thanks for info. Machine always was hard to start, starter rebuilt, needs sniff of ether to start. It will start if you preheat about 1 and a half min. Has new glow plugs, 3200 hrs on machine. Always wonder why it was hard to start, new filters installed also, any help would be thankful.
That's a long glow, have you checked that the glow plugs are in good shape? They should glow right to the tip when you apply power.
If they are good, you really need to do a compression test. Pull a glow plug and install the tester with the fuel off and crank the engine. I don't know exactly what it should be for your engine, but Diesels need at least 350 psi, i think on a new Kubota it should be about 475. The lower it gets, the harder it is ti start.
If the compression is still good, its possible your injectors are not spraying right to get ignition. Does it smoke at all?

Tazza

Staff member
That's a long glow, have you checked that the glow plugs are in good shape? They should glow right to the tip when you apply power.
If they are good, you really need to do a compression test. Pull a glow plug and install the tester with the fuel off and crank the engine. I don't know exactly what it should be for your engine, but Diesels need at least 350 psi, i think on a new Kubota it should be about 475. The lower it gets, the harder it is ti start.
If the compression is still good, its possible your injectors are not spraying right to get ignition. Does it smoke at all?
One other thing that could cause lower compression is that the valve clearance is out. Over time the valves may have sunken into the head a little and caused the clearance to be too small holding a valve slightly open. Just a thought, it does happen.

OP
OP
S

sjp1948

thanks for info. It dosent smoke at all when it starts and is running, burns no oil at all. I,ll check the valve clearence and do a compression test.