Bobcat 731: Deutz F2L511 compression tester

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

campbell45

Does anyone have a compression tester? If so were did you get it?

I know Deutz probably has something special tool for it, but has anyone been able to test them using readily available fittings/tools in a master diesel compression tester kit?

Thanks for the help

OP
OP
C

campbell45

Got off the phone with deutz and they want $1,836 for the compression tester, special tool number 100020.........excuse me?!

Tazza

Staff member
What are your symptoms?

If you need to measure compression, you can get an old injector and modify it so you can measure it, but hopefully if you can give me a description of the issue, i can help you out.

These are fairly simple engines, you can still get rebuild kits for them too

OP
OP
C

campbell45

Thanks Tazza. I was wanting to do a compression test to determine the "life" of the engine. It seems to start up and run fine. However it does smoke white on initial start up quite a bit. I assume this is from the excess fuel solenoid engaging and pushing the fuel injection pump button down during startup. After it warms up, there is less smoke but its still there. Are there any settings or adjustments I should check on fueling?

Tazza

Staff member
As you know, smoke at startup is normal, especially if you use the excessive fuel button.

If it starts nice and easy, i'd feel that your compression is still good. Smoke after startup could be an injector issue, if the spray pattern isn't good, it can cause smoke while running. If it's using oil, i'd suspect there could be cylinder wear if you were using oil and having blue smoke.

Sadly i'm not a mechanic to be able to give you specifics, i'm just a lowly office person. There likely is a max fuel limiter screw, but i believe that will only come into play when you are putting it under load, it limits how far the fuel rack can move so it is unable to pump in too much fuel to air that would normally cause smoke.

OP
OP
C

campbell45

Thanks Tazza. I'll look at my 731 manual to see if there's any tune ups I need to do for fuel