Cleaning used hydraulic hoses

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

dsmithson

I had some hydraulic hoses given to me, they weren't capped, is it possible to clean them before installing, I ran a wire with a piece of cloth through one and it picked up some dirt. I did this with multiple passes, and I'd like to add some lawyer thinner to the cloth. Will this be harmful to the hose?

foton

have never done this but take a 22 cal. bore cleaning rod if it is long enough I would not use a brush but a oiled patch, it should pick up most trash, I guess. then blow it out with air. good luck

Tazza

Staff member
have never done this but take a 22 cal. bore cleaning rod if it is long enough I would not use a brush but a oiled patch, it should pick up most trash, I guess. then blow it out with air. good luck
I use diesel or oil and chunks of foam, rip off chunks of foam and push it into the hose and use compressed air to blow it out. I have done this on machines that i bought that were burnt, so there was carbon chunks in the lines.
I'd avoid bore brushes as they do have bristles, you don't want any metal in the system...

flyerdan

I use diesel or oil and chunks of foam, rip off chunks of foam and push it into the hose and use compressed air to blow it out. I have done this on machines that i bought that were burnt, so there was carbon chunks in the lines.
I'd avoid bore brushes as they do have bristles, you don't want any metal in the system...
I'd take them to the parts washer and run some solvent through them, if you don't have a parts washer you could get a fountain pump at Harbor Freight and scrounge up some vinyl tubing and run some cleaning solution.

OP
OP
D

dsmithson

Thats exactly what happened with this machine, it was burned, I went to wrecking yard and found a ton of parts, Ill use the diesel and foam and see how it goes. thanks for the idea.