Sourcing hydraulic lines/hoses?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Wadeofdesth

Forgive me for the rookie question but where the hell do I find hoses for my 520 and are they machine specific like car parts tend to be or can I just go pick up a matching ?" long hose at tractor supply? Are these things universal to some degree or am I looking for specific fittings or anything beyond the general hose thickness? As a follow up question, I thought I read somewhere that having hoses made is cheaper than ordering them from Bobcat or whoever, thoughts on that? I'm in the Denver area if that helps.

brdgbldr

Hoses are not universal. They vary greatly, not only by size and fitting types, but more importantly by psi rating.

Most of the time it is cheaper to have hoses and tubes made then it is to buy them from Bobcat. However, you normally have to take the old hose in for the shop to use as an example.

I usually have my hoses made at a hydraulic shop, but there are other options like automotive and farm shops that can do a good job of making lines.

Just make sure that the hose/tube you have made is exactly like the hose you give them. Make sure it meets or exceeds the psi rating. Also, don't overlook the directions of the hose ends. Some hoses have bends in the tube part of the connectors. If the hose has these bends at both ends, they may be very specifically angled to one another. If they are wrong, you may have a hard time getting them installed, if at all.

SlowDave

I replaced several hoses with the generic hoses from Tractor Supply on a cheap Chinese tractor and back hoe. I figured anything would be better than what it came with. However, after a few years the tractor supply hoses looked worse than the remaining original hoses on the machine. On top of that I had to use adaptor fittings to adapt to the hyraulic fittings for the IPS threads on the Tractor Supply hoses. It really turned out to be false economy, live and learn.

Sometimes you can find aftermarket hoses that are of reasonable quality and are made for your specific machine. I have one sitting in the shop right now that I purchased for a Koyker loader for $39, at the hose shop it seems like every hose costs at least $100. I have even teased the guys there that they should have a jar of Vaseline on the counter for customer use before they hand them the bill.

mrbb

all hoses have ratings as to what pressure they can handle, using the wrong pressure can result in injury or worse,a s when something under pressure lets loose all sorts of BAD can happen, even death or loss of body parts from vision too?? a hose exploding due to not able to safely hold pressure can be very dangerous!

so, when you need a hose, you either have to get a new one from from the OEM,
or take the old hose to a hydraulic shop that can replicate you a new one of correct parts!
that will be again of the correct pressure rating and correct fittings

OP
OP
Wadeofdesth

Wadeofdesth

all hoses have ratings as to what pressure they can handle, using the wrong pressure can result in injury or worse,a s when something under pressure lets loose all sorts of BAD can happen, even death or loss of body parts from vision too?? a hose exploding due to not able to safely hold pressure can be very dangerous!

so, when you need a hose, you either have to get a new one from from the OEM,
or take the old hose to a hydraulic shop that can replicate you a new one of correct parts!
that will be again of the correct pressure rating and correct fittings
Thanks for the tips!

OP
OP
Wadeofdesth

Wadeofdesth

All of this info is extremely helpful. I found a place in Denver that sounds like they can help me out. Thanks dudes!

MX727

1) Hydraulic shops in the local area. Search for Parker

2) Heavy equipment shops. CAT dealers have some of the better setups and highest quality. Can be the quickest way to get a hose in a pinch, although they can be more expensive.

3) Some NAPA stores make hoses

4) Tractor and equipment dealers. Some don't have hoses or fittings above 3000psi.

5) As mentioned, you can use the generic Tractor Supply hoses and adapters. I tend to only use these on attachments, and only when in a time crunch. I haven't had any problems with them, just a pain sometimes to get the right adapters.

Once you've been doing this for a while you will become more familiar with the fittings and know what to ask for. In general, you are going to want at least 3000psi hoses, but you may need higher depending on what pressure your machine puts out.

Parker fittings catalog:

Parker Flat Face FEM connector catalog:

Stucchi Flat Face Couplers:

MT_Brett

Like MX727 said, find a local Parker shop. I used to have mine made by NAPA and did not had the best luck with the replacements. I also looked at Tractor Supply, but was limited to what they could offer.
I searched google for "hydraulic hose repair" and found a great shop I never noticed before, that was just down the street.

MFCP - Motion & Flow Control Products, Inc. - Parker Store

They've made perfect replacements for me, in less time, and for less $ than NAPA.
[h2][/h2]

Last edited:

Phil314

I had a bunch of custom hoses made when I was rebuilding my snowplow.
If you know specifically what you want, you can order online.
I've used https://www.discounthydraulichose.com with great results.
It's also a good source of info and for figuring out hoses and fittings.

I've also had good luck with a local NAPA making hoses.
But you have to be careful and blow them out clean afterward.
They don't always do that.