Cat 242B or Bobcat S185, gonna buy one soon.

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

.243win

New member/1st post asking same'ole questions here. 1st time buyer and both these Skid Steers are available locally, any opinions between the two or should I just flip a coin? Cant decide which trailer though 16 or 18' Skid Steer trailer. 12,000 GVRW about right? Skids weigh around 6500-7000 lbs. Would the 16' trailer hold the Skid Steer/bucket AND a small bush hog attachment? Thanks, appreciate the response.

SolarMike

I have been lurking here for a while trying to make a similar decision. I finally became a member after making a purchase. I was comparing Bobcats to Catapiller. I finally decided on a cat 246c. I ended buying a little more machine than I needed, however I knew I would grow into any machine I bought, and I wanted to future proof my purchase. Comparing the Cat to Bobcat, i thought that that cabin was roomier with better visability. The cat had higher lift capacity, better hydraulic flow, was faster and made more power with a non turbo engine. (All else being equal, I prefer NA, to turbos) Bobcat really does not have a direct competitor to the 246, you either have to go bigger or smaller. The smaller unit was more money, and obviosly the larger unit was much more money. I also felt that Cat was more solid, the metal just seems thicker and everything seems more reinforced on the Cat. I believe if you put the two next to each other, you would think the cat was build better. Suprisingly, the Cat was much less money. Cat gave me great financing and has really treated me well, considering my company is little more than two years. I think that Cat was much more eager to earn my business, and they have treated me well. I visited 3 different Bobcat dealers and they just were not very motivated to make a deal. Your results might be different. I liked a lot of things about Bobcat, but ultimately it came down to price and capacity, Cat was much more machine for the money.

[email protected]

I have been lurking here for a while trying to make a similar decision. I finally became a member after making a purchase. I was comparing Bobcats to Catapiller. I finally decided on a cat 246c. I ended buying a little more machine than I needed, however I knew I would grow into any machine I bought, and I wanted to future proof my purchase. Comparing the Cat to Bobcat, i thought that that cabin was roomier with better visability. The cat had higher lift capacity, better hydraulic flow, was faster and made more power with a non turbo engine. (All else being equal, I prefer NA, to turbos) Bobcat really does not have a direct competitor to the 246, you either have to go bigger or smaller. The smaller unit was more money, and obviosly the larger unit was much more money. I also felt that Cat was more solid, the metal just seems thicker and everything seems more reinforced on the Cat. I believe if you put the two next to each other, you would think the cat was build better. Suprisingly, the Cat was much less money. Cat gave me great financing and has really treated me well, considering my company is little more than two years. I think that Cat was much more eager to earn my business, and they have treated me well. I visited 3 different Bobcat dealers and they just were not very motivated to make a deal. Your results might be different. I liked a lot of things about Bobcat, but ultimately it came down to price and capacity, Cat was much more machine for the money.
i think a 10k trailer would suffice, anything higher than that you need a CDL which maybe you have, i dont know.

SolarMike

Do you really need the vertical lift? I got my machine with 2 speed and high flow for not much more money than the 242b.

reaperman

Brush cutters do take up some room. You may be streaching it to get the cutter, machine, plus a bucket on a 16' trailer. The only way it would work is to take the bucket and put it on the front of the trailer backwards. Then hook up the cutter to the machine and back the skidsteer onto the trailer. The rear wheels of the skidsteer could sit inside of the backwards bucket. As far as which machine to buy? Personally I dont like caterpillar skidsteers, and hate cat hand controls. You may like hand controls, thats your decision. I also am not a fan of the limiters, cat uses on their machines. Any time you try and pick up something a bit too heavy, the hydraulics go into bypass and wont even try to lift. Whereas, a bobcat will at least bog the engine down a bit and grunt its way through. This can be frustrating when your pushing dirt. As your pushing, alot of times you need to lift the bucket a bit to lighten the load to keep moving forward. This is where the cat will simply stop and do nothing. Because its pushing more than it can, and you try and compensate by lifting. Now the machine wont lift either because its going into bypass. So your stuck dumping some dirt out and starting over. As far as replacement parts go, nobody likes spending $$$, but it happens. Caterpillar parts are known to be on the spendy side. I'd say try both machines, and hopefully which ever machine you decide on treats you well.

Tazza

Staff member
Brush cutters do take up some room. You may be streaching it to get the cutter, machine, plus a bucket on a 16' trailer. The only way it would work is to take the bucket and put it on the front of the trailer backwards. Then hook up the cutter to the machine and back the skidsteer onto the trailer. The rear wheels of the skidsteer could sit inside of the backwards bucket. As far as which machine to buy? Personally I dont like caterpillar skidsteers, and hate cat hand controls. You may like hand controls, thats your decision. I also am not a fan of the limiters, cat uses on their machines. Any time you try and pick up something a bit too heavy, the hydraulics go into bypass and wont even try to lift. Whereas, a bobcat will at least bog the engine down a bit and grunt its way through. This can be frustrating when your pushing dirt. As your pushing, alot of times you need to lift the bucket a bit to lighten the load to keep moving forward. This is where the cat will simply stop and do nothing. Because its pushing more than it can, and you try and compensate by lifting. Now the machine wont lift either because its going into bypass. So your stuck dumping some dirt out and starting over. As far as replacement parts go, nobody likes spending $$$, but it happens. Caterpillar parts are known to be on the spendy side. I'd say try both machines, and hopefully which ever machine you decide on treats you well.
I never knew CAT had limiters on their hydraulics. Good to prevent tipping, but there are always times you want to be able to lift that little bit more.

OP
OP

.243win

My understanding the vertical arms will load a tandem axle dumptruck easier..correct? Little more looking today..... Cat 242B - $40,000 Bobcat S185 - $40,000 Deere - 320D - $35,000 All new w/AC cab. Thanks for the replies, gonna make a decision soon. Surprised how much lower the Deere is.

SolarMike

My understanding the vertical arms will load a tandem axle dumptruck easier..correct? Little more looking today..... Cat 242B - $40,000 Bobcat S185 - $40,000 Deere - 320D - $35,000 All new w/AC cab. Thanks for the replies, gonna make a decision soon. Surprised how much lower the Deere is.
I would demo the machines, and see which one you like best. You really learn a lot using the machine. I paid 41k for our 246c with 2 speed, high flow, heat and AC. I did not consider John Deere, when I researched I could not find much good about them. Antidotally, all the farms and construction sites around here run Bobcats, Cats, and New Holland. The New Holland dealer never managed to get me a quote so I wrote them off. I only need to load pickups and utility trailers, I do lots of digging so radiois lift made sense. I could see where vertical would be usefull for loading bigger trucks. I have done a bit of digging and moving boulders with the machine and have not run into a problem with limiters. I suppose it all comes down to personal preference and style. What one person likes on a machine another person may hate.

redman3638

I would demo the machines, and see which one you like best. You really learn a lot using the machine. I paid 41k for our 246c with 2 speed, high flow, heat and AC. I did not consider John Deere, when I researched I could not find much good about them. Antidotally, all the farms and construction sites around here run Bobcats, Cats, and New Holland. The New Holland dealer never managed to get me a quote so I wrote them off. I only need to load pickups and utility trailers, I do lots of digging so radiois lift made sense. I could see where vertical would be usefull for loading bigger trucks. I have done a bit of digging and moving boulders with the machine and have not run into a problem with limiters. I suppose it all comes down to personal preference and style. What one person likes on a machine another person may hate.
Got a deere 325 in the gravel yard bought new in 2010 now has just over 1000 hours on it. Been a turd. Under warranty they have put 2 fuel tanks, 1 hyd tank, hyd pump, Water pump, and it is leaking hyd again. Has not been a good machine. Before that one was a 2000 or 2001 JD 280 retired at 8102 hrs never had a problem with it. Cat 226 in cleanups doing light landscaping spreading rock 5400 hrs worn out alot of tires only NO PROBLEMS. 4 S205's digging pools lowest hours 5000+ Problems, a few bushings alot of fan belts and tensioner pulleys, a few drive belts and alot of issues with fuel pickups till we put in solid metal pipes, and the bobcats seem to eat a battery every year. So to answer you question Go with the biggest machine you can for the width restriction you have to deal with. So get a 205 instead of the 185 or the new M590. Just got one two weeks ago in yard, new cab configuration is kinda weird sitting so far fwd in machine.