Case 1835B No Left Drive

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

RussT

I was moving a log with my skid steer and suddenly lost drive on the left side. Towing it out I realized that the left was "free wheeling".
No loss off operations on the Right side or Lift or tilt.
Luckily I was able to use my sister's tractor to get it out of the woods and on a trailer 😁.
My initial assumption was loss of the drive pump on the left side.

Pulled it apart today and ran the hydraulics from the right to the left. Sure enough no movement from that motor. Then I ran the left hydraulics to the right side... And didn't get any movement from the good side.

Right now I'm getting the strong feeling the tandem pump and the left side drive motor is toast. I there a chance there is some relief valve or similar stuck open and letting all the fluid by?

Any help much appreciated.

brdgbldr

In my experience the only way that you could be freewheeling is if the chain is broken, the hoses are disconnected, or a valve is stuck open.

OP
OP
R

RussT

In my experience the only way that you could be freewheeling is if the chain is broken, the hoses are disconnected, or a valve is stuck open.

Thank you for the reply. When it happened chains where/was my first thought.

Chains are good
Hoses weren't disconnected until I did it
Possible bipass valve issue on the pump. I'm going to try figure it out from the repair manual.
It's possible the shaft on the motor is sheared somewhere. Going to pull it today to see what I can see.

Keep the ideas coming 😁

OP
OP
R

RussT

Just swapped pump relief valves front to back - right to left. Still no response from the front/left drive pump. It almost feels like the swisher plate is being "wacked" by the piston when the lever is moved to the reverse position. My assumption at this point is the pump is shot. Or ar least shit beyond my ability to repair. No to pull the left motor to determine the condition of it. 🤦‍♂️