Case 1835B Diesel issues vs Newbie

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Hey all I'm brand new to the forum and also to skid steers in general so I'd like to preface this by saying although I'm mechanically Inclined to an extent I have zero experience with working on skid steers or heavy equipment, I've rebuilt the hydrostatic transmission in my JD lawn mower and done small stuff like that before and do work on cars as well.

Anyhow the issue: the skid steer moves forward and back and it seem both left and right sides move/drive; however, I have almost no ability to make a tight turn. I can turn right/left but the turning radius is massive and I usually have to back up and go forward to make any type of tighter turn. My father in law has a gas Case 1835b and his turns like a skid steer should you can basically turn it around on itself, mine seems incapable of making tight turns I have to back up and move forward to make a sharp turn. The pumps are groaning but from my little experience and the research I've done it seems that them being noisy is fairly normal on these case 1835b's. I will add that It almost feels like the left/right side are fighting each other when your trying to spin/turn it around.

Also when it was being used the other day out in the woods moving brush the left rear chain either came off or snapped barely got it back to the barn. I removed the cover and can clearly tell chain was the problem as it's down in the oil and not visible now. My question is does the turning issue have anything to do with the chains being too tight/loose or is the chain breaking probably unrelated to the other issue? Again I have zero experience or understanding of how these machines work so please be patient with my ignorance.

I've searched the internet high and low for people talking about poor turning radius on a skid steer and I cant find much regarding this issue except for people saying they can't turn at all or have lost drive on one side completely, machine goes in circles etc.
I do have the 4inch thick service manual but it's not really helping me in this situation.

Final question: the service manual shows the procedure for removing,installing, and adjusting the chains but nowhere in this glorious 4 inch thick book does it say what chain is to be used on these machines. What I've gleened from my research so far is that it uses #60H (70 links?) for the rear and it's supposed to be endless but I can't find any endless one locally so it's gonna have to have a master link. Can anyone confirm the chain size? I'd like to be sure I'm right before I run out and purchase new roller chain. Thank you in advance for your help and your patience.

Last edited:

Hermie1956

I have replaced the drive chains on my 1835b and they are put together with a master link front and back chains

Gearclash

OEM drive chains on those machines are endless. Any time I replace them, I use master links and have never had a problem with master link failure.

Latest posts