Carolina Attachments brush cutter

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

moesplace

I just bought a Extreme duty 72" cutter for a skid steer. It has 3 blades and they are sandwiched between 2- 3/8" (blade carrier) plates. The bolts that hold the blades on are welded to the bottom blade carrier. You have to use a cut off tool and cut the weld off to get the bolts out. The blades are designed to cut in either direction. But the Radial Piston hydraulic motor will not reverse. Any body here have one of these?

OP
OP
M

moesplace

if i had to guess the blades cut on both sides so you can flip them. if the bolts need to be cut, then cut them.
It just seems like they could have designed them a different way. So they would hold without welding them. They will have to be rewelded when they are reinstalled. I would post pics. If i knew how.

reaperman

My brush cutter is similar whereas the blades are double sided but due to a inline check valve, the cutting wheel only travels in one direction. The blades aren't strait either, they have a downward bend that steps the cutting portion lower than the drum. This bend prevents the blades from being flipped upside down and giving us a sharp edge again. Kind of a waste. But the guy I got if from said just take a angle grinder to re-sharpen the blades when needed. My unit has a large removable bolt to change out blades when needed. I often wonder what would happen if the nut would loosen and the blade would come off during operation, it wouldnt be good.

OP
OP
M

moesplace

My brush cutter is similar whereas the blades are double sided but due to a inline check valve, the cutting wheel only travels in one direction. The blades aren't strait either, they have a downward bend that steps the cutting portion lower than the drum. This bend prevents the blades from being flipped upside down and giving us a sharp edge again. Kind of a waste. But the guy I got if from said just take a angle grinder to re-sharpen the blades when needed. My unit has a large removable bolt to change out blades when needed. I often wonder what would happen if the nut would loosen and the blade would come off during operation, it wouldnt be good.
OK i can live with the bolts. I was told you can reverse the 2 lines at the pump and not at the machine and it would run in reverse direction. I will try that when my blades get dull. Only thing is my mulching teeth between the blades will be going in the wrong direction. I guess i could reverse them also.