Newer attachments on an older machine?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Wadeofdesth

I need to dig a 35 foot long trench with my old 520 (1976?) and I am curious if this machine will have any issues running a trenching attachment I want to rent? Newer skid steers tend to seem so burly next to my little old lady and I'm just curious if anyone has experience running similar attachments on an ancient machine and if you think she's got what it takes? Thanks in advance.

foton

I think I would look at some type of backhoe attachment, or rent a self powered treacher . you do not have much for hyrdo flow for that type of attachment.

OP
OP
Wadeofdesth

Wadeofdesth

Yeah, I'm in the Colorado mountains and it's not easy digging either. My backup plan is renting a mini ex instead.

mrbb

I agree I doubt your machine has enough flow to run a trencher
if your ground is very rocky, you'd most likely be better off renting a trencher than a mini excavator, unless your also renting a hammer for it as well, as , odds are your going to hit ricks the excavator won;t get thru with a bucket!
thus a good trencher will just cut you a path cleanly the whole way ans save you a lot of time !

SlowDave

How deep? 35' isn't very long if you don't have to go too deep. Many years ago I picked up a used Makita jackhammer off of craigslist. That thing has been great for small jobs. I even dug a septic system with it by hand, yikes! That was in New Mexico and there was a lot rocks to deal with. Some of it was 5' deep. I wouldn't recommend that to anyone but my backhoe was in California at the time and I just wanted to get it done. If you are just running a water/gas service, irrigation or electrical conduit hand digging shouldn't be a problem.

OP
OP
Wadeofdesth

Wadeofdesth

How deep? 35' isn't very long if you don't have to go too deep. Many years ago I picked up a used Makita jackhammer off of craigslist. That thing has been great for small jobs. I even dug a septic system with it by hand, yikes! That was in New Mexico and there was a lot rocks to deal with. Some of it was 5' deep. I wouldn't recommend that to anyone but my backhoe was in California at the time and I just wanted to get it done. If you are just running a water/gas service, irrigation or electrical conduit hand digging shouldn't be a problem.
I'm extending the gas line for a propane tank move at my house. I've certainly done my share of digging the old fashioned way, including the existing propane line. I do actually have a crappy old jackhammer that will work but I'm kind of on a time crunch. We'll see what happens but I could probably get a decent start with the bobcat running perpendicular to the hole. I'll let you know what happens. Thanks.

OP
OP
Wadeofdesth

Wadeofdesth

I agree I doubt your machine has enough flow to run a trencher
if your ground is very rocky, you'd most likely be better off renting a trencher than a mini excavator, unless your also renting a hammer for it as well, as , odds are your going to hit ricks the excavator won;t get thru with a bucket!
thus a good trencher will just cut you a path cleanly the whole way ans save you a lot of time !
I actually had a similar situation with a client recently when the opposite happened. Trencher couldn't deal with the rocks so we called a mini ex but his machine is bigger than what I was looking at renting so you may be right, digging up here is always a challenge. We'll see.

mrbb

I actually had a similar situation with a client recently when the opposite happened. Trencher couldn't deal with the rocks so we called a mini ex but his machine is bigger than what I was looking at renting so you may be right, digging up here is always a challenge. We'll see.
like I said, if a dedicated trencher isn;t cutting thru your rocks, , I cannot see a MINI ex doing it either, unless you have a hammer head for it to break the rocks up, and then you will be going back and forth between changing bucket/hammer, which will get old fast and time consuming as well!
I'd honestly go with the trencher first and see what happens!

OP
OP
Wadeofdesth

Wadeofdesth

So we ended up going with the mini ex (Bobcat E20) anyways and you were correct, it didn't fully thrive in this trench, only got about six inches at the shallow spot. BUT, half the reason we we did go with the mini was to do some much needed landscaping/dirt work, and holy shit did this thing just destroy. Our driveway turned from an alley to an interstate. Got a bunch of work done behind the house where I can't get my machine, basically added a half acre of flat land to the property. I'm extremely satisfied with my decision and for what it's worth where I was choosing to trench is probably the most bedrocky part of the property anyways. Only got it for a day but home depot's trailer broke on me so I might get a few more hours out of it too! Thanks for the help.

SlowDave

When we hit rocks like that my labor guy likes to fill the trench with water and let it soak in. It seems to make things easier. He also uses both a digging bar and a pick to loosen up the rocks. If it is a solid mass the jack hammer is best. Have fun.