bobcat s510 overheating while running brush cutter

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

outlawmh

i have a 2015 bobcat s510 it will run all day no problem but when i hook my brush cutter to it and run it for 10-15 mins in the field cutting it starts overheating. and it'll throw codes for hydraulics overheating and the machine itself will start running hot. im new to working on my own machines i know the basics i guess. the hydraulic fluid and anti-freeze reservoir tanks are full. like i said it only does it with my brush cutter. i run a grapple all day with it everyday and it works fine but as soon as i run my brush cutter it just doesn't like it. any ideas on what to check or replace?

foton

I assume that it has a hydraulic oil radiator type cooler for lack of a better term, make sure it is clean ,use air and then water from both directions to wash it out, hopefully that will take care of it. There is a fan I assume also that needs to come on also, make sure it does.

OP
OP
O

outlawmh

I assume that it has a hydraulic oil radiator type cooler for lack of a better term, make sure it is clean ,use air and then water from both directions to wash it out, hopefully that will take care of it. There is a fan I assume also that needs to come on also, make sure it does.
yes it has a hydraulic oil radiator cooler and a fan that comes on. i cleaned it a few days ago and pushed the debris out of it but i only did it with a pressure washer and i only pressure washed the top of it. i am messing with it today going through it. i am also using AW-46 not really sure if thats the right fluid to be using or if it matters.

mrbb

make sure both sides of cooler are clean, I have seen many folks wash one side and the back side be clogged up, causing over heating issue's
and you maybe find this worth looking at

brdgbldr

A lot of debris gets between the oil cooler and the radiator. You can't see it until you lift the oil cooler. Not an easy task but I believe Bobcat recommends cleaning it every 50 hours.

Mustang Guy

Does the hydraulic motor on your brush cutter have a case drain hose? A third small hydraulic line? This could be your problem if you don't have one.

Jabecca

Check the flow rate of the auxiliaries and compare it to the flow rate of the motor on the brush cutter. If the flow rate of the brush cutter is considerable less than the skid steer output then the excess oil is being pushed through the pressure relief and over heating the oil.

reaperman

A brush cutter is suppose to run counter clockwise. It sounds stupid but if its running clockwise, it could be pushing fluid past a check valve trying to do its job. You can reverse the hydro flow direction of the auxillary with the little buttons on one of your handles. Otherwise the couplers on the hoses and be swapped around.

OP
OP
O

outlawmh

Check the flow rate of the auxiliaries and compare it to the flow rate of the motor on the brush cutter. If the flow rate of the brush cutter is considerable less than the skid steer output then the excess oil is being pushed through the pressure relief and over heating the oil.
so the brush cutter is only a 15-20 GPM setup. and i have a 2015 S510 bobcat standard setup. no highflow

OP
OP
O

outlawmh

A brush cutter is suppose to run counter clockwise. It sounds stupid but if its running clockwise, it could be pushing fluid past a check valve trying to do its job. You can reverse the hydro flow direction of the auxillary with the little buttons on one of your handles. Otherwise the couplers on the hoses and be swapped around.
ahh i didn't think of that. because i had to replace the hydro lines on the brush cutter the first day i got it due to me pinching it with the tilt on accident. i could have accidently got them mixed up. but which way should it be spinning if you're looking down at it?

reaperman

If your sitting in the machine lift it up and tip the top forward to expose the blades. Then just bump the switch on and off quickly to start the rotation, the top of the blades should be spinning to your left hand side. I advise you to only get the blades spinning enough to see the direction. I'd never feel safe starring at the blades spinning full speed.

Last edited:

Bordwell

My discharge is on the upper right of the brush hog as you sit in the skid steer. So I assume the direction of the blades is counter clockwise.

OP
OP
O

outlawmh

So I've had some problems lately with my machine. So my hydraulic fluid has been leaking into my chain case. Can't figure out where the leak is. And my lift is slow. Driving forward Nd backwards is fine. Tilt is strong but my lift seems weak and slow.