car trailer

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

kls

Do you guys thinks a car trailer with two 3500lb axles is enough to haul around my 753 or should i go with a little heavier. I know that the 753 weighs about 6000lbs but is 1500 lbs differance enough?

skidsteer.ca

The new S130 (753) weights 5236 lbs plus attachments and options. I thought my 93 753 was supposed to be 4700. The trailer will weight 1500 to 2000 lbs, so your very close to too much already already. Without chains and binders, maybe tracks, etc. It would be tough to keep it legal. Of course your tongue weight comes off this so if you have a stout tow vehicle and a good tongue and hitch, it would help. Still given the choice, your much better off with a 10000 lb trailer.
Ken

gtstang462002

The new S130 (753) weights 5236 lbs plus attachments and options. I thought my 93 753 was supposed to be 4700. The trailer will weight 1500 to 2000 lbs, so your very close to too much already already. Without chains and binders, maybe tracks, etc. It would be tough to keep it legal. Of course your tongue weight comes off this so if you have a stout tow vehicle and a good tongue and hitch, it would help. Still given the choice, your much better off with a 10000 lb trailer.
Ken
I am pulling a T300 on a 10K car trailer with my '07 Expedition EL. Everything is overloaded, but the brakes work well and I am only doing local hauling with this setup. I plan to buy a 15K trailer when money gets better. The rig as it stands right now is 5K more than ford recommends behind this truck, but it handles it well. When it is paid for I will get my super duty that I wanted when I got this one.

scsindust

The 753 only weighs in at right under 5K, so you should be alright. I wouldn't do long hauling with it, but locally you should be ok. I had to use my 7k trailer to haul my 753 around during the winter, since I didn't have another trailer to use. Just be smart about it, and watch it when you are driving, and of course make sure the trailer has working brakes on it.

coreya3212

The 753 only weighs in at right under 5K, so you should be alright. I wouldn't do long hauling with it, but locally you should be ok. I had to use my 7k trailer to haul my 753 around during the winter, since I didn't have another trailer to use. Just be smart about it, and watch it when you are driving, and of course make sure the trailer has working brakes on it.
Personally, I wouldnt haul a 5000 pound machine on a 7K trailer. As Ken states, the trailer weight put you near the limit, and dont forget, bumps on the highway create up and down swings in force that would well exceed you limits. I would step up to a 10K trailer. Good luck.

JimC

I am in the same position right now. I am hauling a 763 on a 7K trailer only on local slow speed deliveries. It is barley legal if at all, so I am looking for a replacement in the 10K range. Don't forget that most 7K trailers only have one axle with brakes, that alone makes it a safety issue. Jim

BobcatDilbert

I have a 7k steel floor car hauler that I used to tow around my S130 on and it did fine. Just need to make sure that your tires are good and your bearings are tight and greased. Also, to protect my steel floor I use 2x12s 8' long as runner to distribute the weight over the floor. If you have the standard angle iron ramps with no vertical support you want to use blocks or jackstands under the rear of the trailer to support the machine as you load it. I personnally prefer the jackstands because they are adjustable and more stable. I just recently upgraded the springs and tires on my car hauler because I bought an S160 and had to haul it back from Kansas City. Everything went fine.

Iowa Dave

My experience is that it's not the axles that get you into trouble with light-duty trailers, it is the length of the trailer. A 12 ft trailer w 2 3500 axles would be fine (not real great, but you would get by for a while), but a 20 foot of the same heft/construction would end up with a bent/sprung frame eventually. Too much trailer hangs over the rear of the axles. Since it is a long trailer, you put a couple of attachments up front, and the Bobcat towards the rear so everything fits in one trip. It looks ok, you have enough of the bobcat on top of the axles that you have some tongue weight, but you wish you could get a bit further forward. But, it looks ok, it'll be fine. Hit a unforeseen bump, a rough RR crossing and PRESTO--a bent frame!! If you are a professional and hire help, get twice the trailer you think you need. It allows some room to trade up to heavier stuff and haul attachments. The operators STILL may wreck it from neglect/abuse. Short trailer, short rare trips, only you driving, and you will be fine. I wouldn't go across town without the trailer brakes working, though! You DO NOT have a "difference of 1500 ". The weight of the trailer is figured in on the 7000# total.

legman

NO!!! 7,000 pounds means GROSS weight capacity. Figure the trailer weighs about 1800? If you toss another 7,000 on the deck not only are you taking the heck out of the trailer you're breaking the hell out of the law if you ever get sopped by the cops! Get a 10k or 12k trailer and not only will you be safe, you'll have the room to carry an attachment or two. It's comical to me that I see all these ads on Craigslist for car trailers saying: Great for skid loader". WHAT skid loader - a Bobcat 371?!!!!

jdlipinski

NO!!! 7,000 pounds means GROSS weight capacity. Figure the trailer weighs about 1800? If you toss another 7,000 on the deck not only are you taking the heck out of the trailer you're breaking the hell out of the law if you ever get sopped by the cops! Get a 10k or 12k trailer and not only will you be safe, you'll have the room to carry an attachment or two. It's comical to me that I see all these ads on Craigslist for car trailers saying: Great for skid loader". WHAT skid loader - a Bobcat 371?!!!!
Can it be done- yes. Should it be done- probably not. I figure 5000 load cap on my 7000lb car trailer. I have had 5500 on it a few times, took it easy, don't be stupid. That being said, I had a guy stop that needed air for his trailer tires. His 7000 lb trailer (5 bolt 15" wheels)behind his F700 Ford with a 331 excavator on the front, and a 753 with grapple bucket on the rear. Extra air in the tires didn't help. I gave him the air hose cause I didn't want to be the one standing next to it when the tire exploded. He got to where he was going, but the letters on the sidewalls were worn off.