Cab Shocks are shot and I'm SOL

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

awestley

Hello All, I'm trying to fix the brake solenoid on my 751. Right now it's stuck in my yard. The real issue is that I need to lift the cab and realized my shocks are shot and the cab with NOT budge. I can't move the bobcat and I can't lift the cab. Any thoughts on how to get the cab up so I can replace the shocks? I have access to a large enough tractor to may attach a chain to the cab (if there was a good point to attach a chain) and lift it. There has got to be a better way to do this. Any ideas would be welcomed.

flyerdan

I looked at the online parts diagram and didn't see any big springs that assist in cab lifting, so I assume that all of the assist comes from the gas shocks? If they are the sole assist, that could make the cab very hard to move; if they are somehow seized up, that would be pretty much the same.
Since you have a tractor (hopefully with a FEL so you can get some elevation), you should be able to chain it back, or at least use it as an anchor point so you can come-along it for a bit more control.
If there is nowhere to hook a chain, you could use a strap through the grab handles on each side of the door and chain to that. If you suspect that the gas cylinders might be seized, I would disconnect the top end from the cab, just to avoid tearing something up.

foton

I looked at the online parts diagram and didn't see any big springs that assist in cab lifting, so I assume that all of the assist comes from the gas shocks? If they are the sole assist, that could make the cab very hard to move; if they are somehow seized up, that would be pretty much the same.
Since you have a tractor (hopefully with a FEL so you can get some elevation), you should be able to chain it back, or at least use it as an anchor point so you can come-along it for a bit more control.
If there is nowhere to hook a chain, you could use a strap through the grab handles on each side of the door and chain to that. If you suspect that the gas cylinders might be seized, I would disconnect the top end from the cab, just to avoid tearing something up.
not to be a wise asxx but you did take out the two tie down bolts , right?

OP
OP
A

awestley

You know, that gives me an idea. There is a large tree almost directly behind it 15' or so. Perhaps I can use a come-along strapped to it and use that to lift it. Otherwise, I'll need to resort to the tractor. Good call on using the grab handles too. That would be the only point I could connect to. Thanks!

bobbie-g

You know, that gives me an idea. There is a large tree almost directly behind it 15' or so. Perhaps I can use a come-along strapped to it and use that to lift it. Otherwise, I'll need to resort to the tractor. Good call on using the grab handles too. That would be the only point I could connect to. Thanks!
Had a 751 for years. The gas-charged struts are the lifting support mechanism. There is nothing except rust and gravity that will hold the cab down, after the two securing bolts are removed. EXCEPT: as you are seated in the machine, just outside your right thigh is a valve handle in the cab "floor". That's the hydraulic release for the lift arms if the machine dies with the lift arms up in the air. I think you pull that upward half an inch and maybe rotate it a quarter turn??? The knob was missing on mine, so clever me, I just welded a nut to a piece of strap iron and there's my cheapie knob. Much later when I tried to lift the cab, it would only come up half an inch. I knew there was nothing holding it, so I got a crow bar and really honked up on it. Turns out the home made knob had rotated such that the strap was keeping the cab from lifting. Bent the shaft on the valve. Duhhhhh.... So check for junk in that area that might be between the bottom of the seat and that knob. :) ---Bobbie-G