Buying a used John Deere 240. Advice

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Dman1989

Hey all, The Bobcats I was looking at all fell threw. Now I have some questions about a couple John Deere machines. One is a 5575 with only 615 original Hrs. they are selling because they want a bigger enclosed machine for snow removal. $12,000 NEXT IS a JD 240 Hi-flow, new bucket, so so tires. approx 1500 (approx because the hour meter has been replaced) The guy says he bought as a repo out of Arizona says he BOUGHT TO SELL this machine. My budget is $10,000 but I'm Willing to wheel and deal and maybe spend a touch more. THANKS!

skidsteer.ca

12k is a lot for a machine of the 5575s vintage even with low hours, in todays market imo..
Believe the 240 to be a solid machine and should be near your budget with average hours (2000-3000)
As with any used machine test all the functions and see how it starts cold.Look for loose pins, oil leakes, cylinders that leak down (boom drops or bucket tilts on its own)
Ken

dozer

12k is a lot for a machine of the 5575s vintage even with low hours, in todays market imo..
Believe the 240 to be a solid machine and should be near your budget with average hours (2000-3000)
As with any used machine test all the functions and see how it starts cold.Look for loose pins, oil leakes, cylinders that leak down (boom drops or bucket tilts on its own)
Ken
I owned a John Deere 250 for about 6 months before moving it down the line. My machine had a little under 3000 hours and I picked it up for $9500.
The first thing to look for is under the cab. Raise the arms up and remove the two cab bolts. ROll the cab up. First off you will notice that JD SS's have more wiring than I can see a need for. Make sure its all good. Next check for leaks. Mine had two leaks when I bought it and seemed to have a new leak about every 100 hours.
If that all checks out put the cab down and start it up. Run it hard for about 1/2 hour. Move Gravel Move pallets but work it. Once its warmed up remove the oil cap and look for blowby. That is not neccessarily a JD thing as mine had a great engine.
That being said the 250 was a good machine. The stability and lift are underated in my opinion. My 250 with countweights was just a shade below my current 873 in lift I feel.
Where you need to be careful with the JD is electrical. In 6 months I sunk over $3000 into electrical problems and have read many of the same things right here in the JD skidsteer forums.
Sorry but on the older series I know very little.
good luck,
Dozer

finn01

I owned a John Deere 250 for about 6 months before moving it down the line. My machine had a little under 3000 hours and I picked it up for $9500.
The first thing to look for is under the cab. Raise the arms up and remove the two cab bolts. ROll the cab up. First off you will notice that JD SS's have more wiring than I can see a need for. Make sure its all good. Next check for leaks. Mine had two leaks when I bought it and seemed to have a new leak about every 100 hours.
If that all checks out put the cab down and start it up. Run it hard for about 1/2 hour. Move Gravel Move pallets but work it. Once its warmed up remove the oil cap and look for blowby. That is not neccessarily a JD thing as mine had a great engine.
That being said the 250 was a good machine. The stability and lift are underated in my opinion. My 250 with countweights was just a shade below my current 873 in lift I feel.
Where you need to be careful with the JD is electrical. In 6 months I sunk over $3000 into electrical problems and have read many of the same things right here in the JD skidsteer forums.
Sorry but on the older series I know very little.
good luck,
Dozer
I bought a 240 Series II last spring. It's my first machine and it's pretty easy for a beginner to master. I Paid $10300 for the machine with 950 hours, with a decent bucket and a set of forks, relatively new tires, and a recent fluid change. I used it around the cabin for about 150 hours with the replacement of one hydraulic hose ($80) under the engine as the only issue. The hose sprang a leak where it was resting on the skid plate access door. I've been pleased with the machine, although a cab enclosure would be nice. The 240 has a 3 cylinder Deere wet sleeved engine, so it should be easily rebuildable when (if) the time comes. The Series II machines supposedly have an improved (more robust) electrical system. Do a search for details. Alan