broken hydraulic hose -1994 543B

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

buddy

Last weekend i broke a hose .Of course it was way back in the north 40. It started acting funny would not steer very good then stopped moving altogether. made a cavatation noise so i shut her down within 15 seconds hope i didn't do any major damage. Found the broken hose and will try to go about this systematically if possable. question : 1. have to winch onto trailer @ 30 yrds. will it roll without any hyd. fluid in it ? or will i have to drag ? 2.after or if i can....change the hose myself ? what is the proper procedure to re fill without doing any damage to the pumps or drive motor ? any help would be greatly appreaciated... thanks Mark

OldMachinist

You'll pretty much have to drag it. The wheels will roll very slowly if the brake is off and the steering levers are held or tied in the direction of travel. If the broken hose is for one of the drive motors that side may roll easier. After you change the hose, fill the oil, jack and block the machine off the ground. Start the engine and run it at 1/3 throttle and hold the steering levers forward until the wheels turn smoothly then hold them in reverse, repeat several times to purge the air from the hydrostatic system, Take the machine off the blocks and operate the lift/tilt to purge any air that got into the hydraulic system. Recheck the fluid level.
If it got a lot of air in the systems it may take using it several times for all of it to work its way out.

OP
OP
B

buddy

You'll pretty much have to drag it. The wheels will roll very slowly if the brake is off and the steering levers are held or tied in the direction of travel. If the broken hose is for one of the drive motors that side may roll easier. After you change the hose, fill the oil, jack and block the machine off the ground. Start the engine and run it at 1/3 throttle and hold the steering levers forward until the wheels turn smoothly then hold them in reverse, repeat several times to purge the air from the hydrostatic system, Take the machine off the blocks and operate the lift/tilt to purge any air that got into the hydraulic system. Recheck the fluid level.
If it got a lot of air in the systems it may take using it several times for all of it to work its way out.
Thanks to old machinist your wisdom is priceless. I believe you also answered my last post several months ago . Without this forum and members like you I could not afford to own a bobcat !

OP
OP
B

buddy

i do believe that the hose is a drive hose it runs from a junction at the upper front left corner of the tub. the line goes down to the bottom of the front axle housing(outer corner) the junction also has a line to the bottom of the right axle. it looks like they will be next to impossable to access. 3000 psi 3/4 in dia.the end at the junction is female however the end at the axel housing i cannot see very well. do you know if it's female or male. any thoughts or tricks on how to remove/ install this?

OldMachinist

i do believe that the hose is a drive hose it runs from a junction at the upper front left corner of the tub. the line goes down to the bottom of the front axle housing(outer corner) the junction also has a line to the bottom of the right axle. it looks like they will be next to impossable to access. 3000 psi 3/4 in dia.the end at the junction is female however the end at the axel housing i cannot see very well. do you know if it's female or male. any thoughts or tricks on how to remove/ install this?
If its a line to the drive motor then there's a cover on the outside between the tires that you can remove to gain access to the lines.