Info/help on this hose?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

VAFarmUse

Bobcat 742. This hose blew. Got bottom connection off easy, but can't get the upper loose. See pics where wrench is attached. Looks like this goes to a metal hardline. Hoping this does in fact come apart, and I don't have to replace the whole thing? If I can in fact remove, anybody know which way that nut turns? Hard to tell if it's connected to the hose or the hard line. Trying not to put too much force on it and risk bending the hard line. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. If it helps for ID purposes, it is connected to the left stick and seems to be the line for reverse, as when it blew I only knew because I could feel it when I pulled back on the left stick. Thanks in advance.
IMG_0392.jpeg

brdgbldr

Bobcat 742. This hose blew. Got bottom connection off easy, but can't get the upper loose. See pics where wrench is attached. Looks like this goes to a metal hardline. Hoping this does in fact come apart, and I don't have to replace the whole thing? If I can in fact remove, anybody know which way that nut turns? Hard to tell if it's connected to the hose or the hard line. Trying not to put too much force on it and risk bending the hard line. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. If it helps for ID purposes, it is connected to the left stick and seems to be the line for reverse, as when it blew I only knew because I could feel it when I pulled back on the left stick. Thanks in advance.View attachment 5376
There are no reversed threads on any of the hoses. So righty tighty, lefty loosy.

I would suggest that you try to get another wrench on the hard line to keep it from twisting while trying to remove the hose.

That is most likely the original hose and has been attached for about 30 years. It will fight coming apart. I would not recommend using an open flame to heat up the connection but you might try a heat gun if you are careful.

craigb93

It should look just like the JIC fitting on the top of the pump. The hard line like the pump line,L and the blown line like the end of the ell on the pump,R. Use a mirror to confirm. Squeeze a pair of open end wrenches together to loosen. -Dick

haymaker

Clean up the area if you use heat and don't start a fire. Be mindful of the electrical connections and harness.

OP
OP
V

VAFarmUse

There is only one fitting to get a wrench on. Assume it is on the hard line and that the hose is threaded into it, but I could be wrong. Barely any room back there to get a wrench on. May try to get a pipe wrench on it, just to keep the hard line from flexing or breaking. Just need an octopus to lend me a hand (or 4)to help out.

Tlawdogg

Have you tried a Crows Foot ?
I had to buy a set when I bought My 863F bobcat. I used it on several hoses I have replaced. Worth the investment for me. Good luck.
Todd

laurencen

replace both hoses they are the same age, as with most hose connections they are tight and hard to get to, over the years i have modified wrenches as needed, this is a hose I made a wrench with a offset, as mentioned try a crow foot but support the steel hose so ot to damage it

thwerench

We have a flame less heater for those tough jobs. Electromagnetic induction. Wrap the fitting you want off with one of the supplied attachments and push the button. 8 seconds later it's glowing and ready to be loosened

wateka

We have a flame less heater for those tough jobs. Electromagnetic induction. Wrap the fitting you want off with one of the supplied attachments and push the button. 8 seconds later it's glowing and ready to be loosened
Nice! A new tool that I didn't even know existed. @thwerench Is yours along the lines of this one?
IMG_7730.png

thwerench

The tool itself looks like mine a lot more attachments to the kit you're looking at. If you work on older stuff or rusty stuff it's a great tool to have in the box

OP
OP
V

VAFarmUse

any chance the hose does not come apart from the hard line and it must be replaced all at once? we have heated and wrenched hard on it and cannot get it to budge. anyone replaced this on a 742 (or assume maybe same setup for 743) ??

laurencen

any time its part of the hard line they crimp and no place to use a wrench, these connections are allways a pain to undo, take a look on the Bobcat parts site and it will show the hose and hardline, if its one piece will show it and part number

brdgbldr

any chance the hose does not come apart from the hard line and it must be replaced all at once? we have heated and wrenched hard on it and cannot get it to budge. anyone replaced this on a 742 (or assume maybe same setup for 743) ??
There are some hydrostatic lines that have steel tubes crimped to them and are part of the whole assembly. These hose assemblies go to the drive motors.

Just take a look at the parts catalog that I left a link to above. You could have saved yourself a lot of headache by looking at it first. I've learned the hard way to always take a look at the parts catalog before digging into my machines.

They still sell these hoses through Bobcat, but they are quite expensive and out of stock. You will need to remove the whole hose assembly and take it to a hydraulic shop so they can make a copy of it.

OP
OP
V

VAFarmUse

brdgbldr, you were correct. coulda saved myself a lot of time! It was indeed a complete assembly. Lucked out because bobcat had it in stock, so I have it on order and will change it out when it arrives. Part # 6563242 in case anyone needs this info down the road. Appreciate everyone's help and advice!