Bought 1840 - Got 2 Problems

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Skeet

Finally found a 90 model 1840 that I could afford. Unit runs strong and is hydraulically pretty even on both sides. I've got two problems. I'm going to order a service manual this week but thought I'd ask you guys. All help is appreciated. 1. Gas gauge has all led's lit and I know the tank isn't full. Also can hear the relay behind the panel pull in about every 3-4 seconds. Several of the lights in the panel are dimly lit. 2. Got a small drip from the seal on the rear left tire drive chain plate. I assume there is some type of rubber or silicone seal. Do you take the tire off and unbolt the plate to correct? Thanks again! Skeet

Tazza

Staff member
It sounds like the fuel sender may be shorted out, but thats a very minimal issue. That or a pissible worn through wire shorting it out.
As for the plate, hopefully its simply a gasket, if so, silicone fixes everything! ok, so maybe not, but most things?

aaa123

There is a plate that seals to the tub, probably with silicone, then the axle housing seals to that plate with a large diameter o-ring. Then the stub axle has two seals through the axle housing.

OP
OP
S

Skeet

There is a plate that seals to the tub, probably with silicone, then the axle housing seals to that plate with a large diameter o-ring. Then the stub axle has two seals through the axle housing.
It is dripping at the plate/tub location. I guess it could be there or behind it with the o-ring at the housing seal. No oil out at the axle exit. I'll order a service manual today but if anyone has taken this area apart with similar issues, I'd appreciate any tips. Skeet

aaa123

It is dripping at the plate/tub location. I guess it could be there or behind it with the o-ring at the housing seal. No oil out at the axle exit. I'll order a service manual today but if anyone has taken this area apart with similar issues, I'd appreciate any tips. Skeet
You can look at the blow-up diagram on the Case web site: http://www.caseih.com/northamerica/PartsService/Pages/search.aspx Not sure if you knew that. My 1835B is very similar but doesn't have the intermediate plate because the chain sprockets can come out the top instead of having to come out the side. On mine it's dead simple - the axle housing has a stub axle sticking out that goes through the chain sprocket and fastens with a castle nut and cotter pin inside the chain housing. If I take the chain covers off I can see the castle nut right there. I'm guessing the 1840 can't be too much different. To reinstall just put the axle housing back and lift the chain sprocket back onto the stub axle, and put the castle nut back (service manual says 75-95 ft-lb.) Then adjust the chain tight again with the adjuster and the axle housing nuts to 100 ft-lb. Yours has that extra plate in between but I think the rest is pretty much the same. -Hans

OP
OP
S

Skeet

You can look at the blow-up diagram on the Case web site: http://www.caseih.com/northamerica/PartsService/Pages/search.aspx Not sure if you knew that. My 1835B is very similar but doesn't have the intermediate plate because the chain sprockets can come out the top instead of having to come out the side. On mine it's dead simple - the axle housing has a stub axle sticking out that goes through the chain sprocket and fastens with a castle nut and cotter pin inside the chain housing. If I take the chain covers off I can see the castle nut right there. I'm guessing the 1840 can't be too much different. To reinstall just put the axle housing back and lift the chain sprocket back onto the stub axle, and put the castle nut back (service manual says 75-95 ft-lb.) Then adjust the chain tight again with the adjuster and the axle housing nuts to 100 ft-lb. Yours has that extra plate in between but I think the rest is pretty much the same. -Hans
Any possibility I could put a leak stop additive in the chain drive oil on that side and address the issue? Interested in hearing feedback on the good/bad scenario's. Thanks!

Tazza

Staff member
Any possibility I could put a leak stop additive in the chain drive oil on that side and address the issue? Interested in hearing feedback on the good/bad scenario's. Thanks!
I wouldn't, if the seals are bad, it won't help.

OP
OP
S

Skeet

I wouldn't, if the seals are bad, it won't help.
My drive chain on the right is clanking so I wanted to check the fluid level. In looking at the diagram on the case site there should be inspection plates on the chain drive tanks.... they are not there on my machine(which is a 1990). Anyone have an older machine that can help me out with how to check the oil level and where to add? Thanks