Boobcat 722 repower

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

mikehart56

I have a 76-78 722 with ford 1.6l bobcat cannt get parts, engine builders cant get them either....can i mate a 670 predator into it or should i spend $3200 for a kit? Is there any other options? Also my ford is 30hp, would a 22-25hp motor be adquate to run the pumps? Thank you for any help

Bdoyle

What ever you chose you will need to consider weight differences. I just completed a repower on m720 with a Kohler CH1000 37HP. Install went great and it runs real nice. 400 pound difference. I've got one heck of a counterbalance to make. What kit were you looking at?

foton

What ever you chose you will need to consider weight differences. I just completed a repower on m720 with a Kohler CH1000 37HP. Install went great and it runs real nice. 400 pound difference. I've got one heck of a counterbalance to make. What kit were you looking at?
I do not think you be able to get it all in weight addition easily in one counter weight, may be you could fit some tractor wheel weights on the rears to get some of it, just a thought. With mine someone took off the front weights, and I added a 110 lb counter weight and added a hyrdo grapple to the toothed bucket which gave me another 200 + lbs ,much better now . I can put it on a trailer now without it lifting the front tires off the ground.

flyerdan

I do not think you be able to get it all in weight addition easily in one counter weight, may be you could fit some tractor wheel weights on the rears to get some of it, just a thought. With mine someone took off the front weights, and I added a 110 lb counter weight and added a hyrdo grapple to the toothed bucket which gave me another 200 + lbs ,much better now . I can put it on a trailer now without it lifting the front tires off the ground.
I was going to suggest Rock Auto, as I believe the Ford Fiesta had the same engine, but a quick look there showed several key items (like piston rings and gasket sets) as out of stock, so that's not a viable option. Keeping it original, or as close as possible is always best, so if you have part numbers you might find them on ebay, amazing what shows up there.
The repower kits are rather expensive because someone else has done all the measuring, cutting and fitting (and often cursing and bleeding) involved in fabbing up all the retrofit bits. Depending on your skills and shop equipment available, and time available, it might be a good deal.
I have a couple big chunks of cast iron bolted to the back of the door; they're factory as the top on has Bobcat in raised lettering and the bottom one has Melroe.

Bdoyle

I was going to suggest Rock Auto, as I believe the Ford Fiesta had the same engine, but a quick look there showed several key items (like piston rings and gasket sets) as out of stock, so that's not a viable option. Keeping it original, or as close as possible is always best, so if you have part numbers you might find them on ebay, amazing what shows up there.
The repower kits are rather expensive because someone else has done all the measuring, cutting and fitting (and often cursing and bleeding) involved in fabbing up all the retrofit bits. Depending on your skills and shop equipment available, and time available, it might be a good deal.
I have a couple big chunks of cast iron bolted to the back of the door; they're factory as the top on has Bobcat in raised lettering and the bottom one has Melroe.
I've 'heard' that the ford 1600 was also used in the english ford cortina. That should be the 'kent' 1600. Lots of racing parts available. So should be able to rebuild. I was missing lots of parts from the Wisconsin engine so the repower kit was actually cheaper.

j-jock

I've 'heard' that the ford 1600 was also used in the english ford cortina. That should be the 'kent' 1600. Lots of racing parts available. So should be able to rebuild. I was missing lots of parts from the Wisconsin engine so the repower kit was actually cheaper.
I know this is an old thread, but I have some relevant information that would benefit anyone with a Bobcat 720 or 722.
I bought my 720, 40 years ago, with a blown Wisconson, most probably because the governor failed and it over revved. (I know this, because the governor had also grenaded).
When I looked at the unbelievably high cost of redoing the Wisconson, I decided on swapping in a Ford Cortina engine because of the parts simularity with the 722. I stuck with the stock downdraft, built an exhaust, using the manifold from the car, made a rear mounted radiator, and adapted an electric fan. and machined the Ford flywheel to accept the U joint to the pumps.
If I remember correctly, the battery was located in the main frame, on the opposite side of the alternator. I didn't like the location, so I moved it to the left hand side of the engine mount plate. I have been happy with the location.
I adapted a governor of unknown origin to control the engine, and with the exception of the last few years,
I have put enough time on the machine to have required an overhaul on all my cylinders. (Right now it is disabled, because it needs axle seals, and I have been unable to find a source for the bearings and seals).
I used the existing door, but because of the increased length of the engine, I needed to cut out the original latch. To secure the door, I drilled through the door to the location of the slot of the original latch on the body, and made a pin to secure the door from the outside.
BTW, the engine rotation, is opposite that of the Wisconson, so the direction of the vane pump has to be turned 180 degrees. No parts required.
This also changes the direction of the machine motion controls. The easy solution, if they are still available, would be to buy the pipes for the 722, but it would be no problem to re position the pipes from the hydraulic pump to the motor pumps, or have flexible hoses made up. I had never driven a Bobcat before, and I just got used to pulling on the levers to go forward. ( This, of course, makes it impossible to drive any other Bobcat or skidsteer, but I can handle mine just fine).
Power:
The Bobcat 1600 engine is rated at 37 hp @2800 rpm.
The car engine is rated at 76 at 5000 rpm, but I set the governor at 2800 rpm, and I have plenty of power and torque.
I have the soft seated heads, so 15 years ago, I thought I needed to do the valves. Because I was running synthetic oil, the engine was so clean that I was very pleasantly surprised. I pulled all the valves, to check them, and reface them if necessary, but they all looked great. I lapped the valves, installed new seals, and re-assembled the head.
I have absolutely no regrets about having done this swap.

I can't think of anything else.
I hope this is helpful to someone.
Bob