743 vs 722

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Atilathehun99

I had a 722 for 25-yrs. I've had my 743B for 9-months. I understand the many advantages the 743B has over a 722. Of course machine weights and power are very close to being the same. This post is specific to one attribute - stability. I have multiple slopes at my place but nothing extreme.

When I bought the 743B I swapped out the wheels and tires from the 722 because those were in much better shape. So that's apples to apples. I also kept the 722's bucket because it was heavier and a smooth cutting edge. The 743B came with a slightly smaller/lighter toothed bucket which is nice to have when needed.

It seems to me that when performing the same things the 743B feels more tippy, bouncier, and heavier in the back than the 722. This is more evident with the lighter toothed bucket but also noticeable with the 722's bucket on. It may be more perception than anything but at times it's felt like it was getting light enough in the front to tip over backwards. Seems extremely easy with an empty bucket for the front wheels to lift off the ground. I had only rarely felt that way with the 722 and when that happened I knew I was pushing the envelope with whatever I was doing at the time.

This posted to ask anyone who have run 743/743B and 720 series machines what their experiences/opinions are.

On another matter I do miss sitting higher with more visibility afforded by the 722 but I don't miss those howling hydraulics.

Dave1234

Recently I left my 734B machine with the bucket pointed down and with its tip resting on the ground for a few days while I was working on the chain case and did some rust removal on the bobtach system. One day I came back and found the machine tipped back on its tail. For a long time I tried to figure out where the residual hyd pressure and volume could possibly have come from, then finally realized that in getting in and out I must have left the arms in float, and they slowly drifted down. So, as relates to your questions--apparently the front of a 743B is so light that without the weight of the arms holding it down, the machine would sit on its tail all the time. Put differently, the center of gravity must be behind the rear wheels with no weight from the arms, hence confirming your observations that it seems awfully easy to lift the front wheels off the ground by pushing down with the bucket.

Latest posts