Bolt & Pin replacement for S175

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

kyhamoge

Help! I need to replace a sheared off bolt at the end of the lift arm on my Bobcat S175. The bolt screws into a tapered pin, which secures the Bob-tach, and allows the Bob-tach to pivot at the end of the lift arm. The bolt is 4.5"L x .625" dia. Looks like the Zerk (grease) fitting needs to be removed so that the pin can be tapped back into cylinder on Bob-tach? Any advice on removal & installation would be great!

OldMachinist

The normal procedure for removing the pivot pins is to remove the grease fitting, loosen the bolt a couple of turns and then hit the head of the bolt with a big hammer. You may want to put a rag over the grease fitting hole to keep the grease from squirting. Once the pin knocks free of the taper replace the bolt with a longer one or a piece of threaded rod and push it all the way into the bushing. Remove what you pushed with, repeat on the other side and then you can swing the Bobtach out from the lift arm and block.
Now since one of your bolts is broken you'll likely have to remove the broken piece first or the pin may not go far enough into the bushing for the broken stub to clear the arm.
How did the bolt get broke?

OP
OP
K

kyhamoge

The normal procedure for removing the pivot pins is to remove the grease fitting, loosen the bolt a couple of turns and then hit the head of the bolt with a big hammer. You may want to put a rag over the grease fitting hole to keep the grease from squirting. Once the pin knocks free of the taper replace the bolt with a longer one or a piece of threaded rod and push it all the way into the bushing. Remove what you pushed with, repeat on the other side and then you can swing the Bobtach out from the lift arm and block.
Now since one of your bolts is broken you'll likely have to remove the broken piece first or the pin may not go far enough into the bushing for the broken stub to clear the arm.
How did the bolt get broke?
As always, thanks for your advice OM! The bolt broke, with approx. 1" left in the end of the pin, while pushing (ramming) some very large pieces of limestone. I suspect the bolt had come loose and the pin had worked it's way out of the lift arm. I will remove with screw extractor. LOL! -- You definitely WILL "want to put a rag over the grease fitting hole"!...I learned the hard way! Questions on replacement: Do I need to clean out all the grease in the bushing in order to keep the tapered end of the pin grease-free while replacing? Seems like it could be tricky trying to get the tapered end to seat while turning (tightening) bolt? Do I partially thread the longer "assitant" bolt into the tapered end of the pin and pull through into the lift arm? Thannks for your help!

OldMachinist

As always, thanks for your advice OM! The bolt broke, with approx. 1" left in the end of the pin, while pushing (ramming) some very large pieces of limestone. I suspect the bolt had come loose and the pin had worked it's way out of the lift arm. I will remove with screw extractor. LOL! -- You definitely WILL "want to put a rag over the grease fitting hole"!...I learned the hard way! Questions on replacement: Do I need to clean out all the grease in the bushing in order to keep the tapered end of the pin grease-free while replacing? Seems like it could be tricky trying to get the tapered end to seat while turning (tightening) bolt? Do I partially thread the longer "assitant" bolt into the tapered end of the pin and pull through into the lift arm? Thannks for your help!
I'd clean out the old grease, then apply just a small amount of new on the straight section of the pin. Push the pin into the Bobtach, align with the lift arm hole and use the longer bolt to pull the pin into the taper. As long as the tapers are clean and not damaged the pin should tighten right up without spinning. Tighten the bolt to 175 ft, lbs,
If it was me I'd think about welding some collars on the outside of the arms to protect the bolt heads from getting knocked off.

OP
OP
K

kyhamoge

I'd clean out the old grease, then apply just a small amount of new on the straight section of the pin. Push the pin into the Bobtach, align with the lift arm hole and use the longer bolt to pull the pin into the taper. As long as the tapers are clean and not damaged the pin should tighten right up without spinning. Tighten the bolt to 175 ft, lbs,
If it was me I'd think about welding some collars on the outside of the arms to protect the bolt heads from getting knocked off.
Sounds like good advice. I will check on the recommended torque, as another "poster" suggested 110 ft. lbs. -- big difference! Thanks again OM...I will let you know the outcome!

OldMachinist

Sounds like good advice. I will check on the recommended torque, as another "poster" suggested 110 ft. lbs. -- big difference! Thanks again OM...I will let you know the outcome!
 photo PivotPinTorque_zps8d6dc6a2.jpg

OP
OP
K

kyhamoge

Job is complete...thanks for all your advice OM! FYI - I found no need for an "assistant" bolt to pull pin through into lift arm cylinder. I simply used a long straight piece of coat hanger with the tip (approx. 1/2") bent at 90 degrees. You can easily hook the "back" end of the pin and pull far enough to allow the bolt to be threaded in. I torqued at 190 ft.lbs. OM - I assume this pic - with torque specs. - is from a service manual? Where is the best place to get a Service Manual for Bobcat S175? I would like to get all the torque specs. for the machine! Not sure I want to drop $100+ though!

OldMachinist

Job is complete...thanks for all your advice OM! FYI - I found no need for an "assistant" bolt to pull pin through into lift arm cylinder. I simply used a long straight piece of coat hanger with the tip (approx. 1/2") bent at 90 degrees. You can easily hook the "back" end of the pin and pull far enough to allow the bolt to be threaded in. I torqued at 190 ft.lbs. OM - I assume this pic - with torque specs. - is from a service manual? Where is the best place to get a Service Manual for Bobcat S175? I would like to get all the torque specs. for the machine! Not sure I want to drop $100+ though!
You can get service manuals from http://www.tradebit.com/filesharing.php/search/0/s175+bobcat+service
There are 5 different ones for the S175 so make sure you get the right one for your serial number. If you have any doubts about which one you need post the first 6 digits of your serial number and I'll point you in the right direction.

OP
OP
K

kyhamoge

Hey OM!
Are you still out there?!
10 years later, and I needed a refresher course on removing & installing that pivot pin!
I googled "how to remove pivot pin on Bobcat S175, and lo & behold our conversation from 2013 appeared…Perfect!
Hope your are well my friend…you helped me immensely back then! 👍🏽