Trying to find bolt extractor for 1 1/2” track tension bolt

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

MichaelMT-100

I have a rounded track tensioner bolt on my MT-100 Bobcat it's a large bolt that was poorly designed by bobcat back in 2020 when purchased new. Since Bobcat has a star plate welded on so bolt can be turned with a hammer and chisel placed in notches. Something that should have been recalled by Bobcat since they clearly changed the design since I bought mine. If someone knows of a company that makes a bolt extractor that size 1-1/2" thanks

OP
OP
MichaelMT-100

MichaelMT-100

My local Bobcat dealer wanted 3500$ to replace that bolt, since they said the entire track assembly including drive gears have to be removed. I have a welder coming out next week to try and weld a nut onto the rounded bolt so a socket can once again be used.

Phil314

I have a welder coming out next week to try and weld a nut onto the rounded bolt so a socket can once again be used.

This would be my first choice. Welding a nut on is probably the best way to remove broken bolts and studs.
The heat from welding will loosen it and the new nut will give you a place to put some torque on it.
It should come right out if you get a decent weld on it.

brdgbldr

My local Bobcat dealer wanted 3500$ to replace that bolt, since they said the entire track assembly including drive gears have to be removed. I have a welder coming out next week to try and weld a nut onto the rounded bolt so a socket can once again be used.
You can really help out the welder, and maybe save some time and money, by cleaning the bolt. If you can get a grinder with a wire brush or even just some sand paper to clean it to bare metal and then wipe it down real good with acetone you will get a much better weld.

Latest posts