Bobcat 873 doesnt want to run in zero temps

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

bobcatguy

Hello,
lets hope i didnt damage the 873 by adding to much 911 .
ive got it running it still has a bug in it , it runs but ever now and then it will loose it high rpms and bog down to a idle but it will recover back to high rpms with a minute , i may have got some bad diesel ??? who knows , it ran for 2 hrs yesterday i will run it again today it's down to 1/2 tank of fuel i will try to run more out and add some new diesel from a fuel staition , ive only seen NO#2 diesel around here beside red dyed farm diesel so i'm stuck with 2# diesel , temps in the high 40'S this weekend in northern Missouri !
Thanks again for all the replies
Jess
When the engine starts to die down if you have time go back to your primer bulb and give it a few pumps. I had a 873 that did something similar and it ended up being the fuel lift pump going bad. It would run fine for a while then just start falling flat. I pumped the bulb and it picked back up again and ran fine. Another thing, your pickup tube could have a crack and if the fuel shifts below the crack during operation you could suck air causing it to drop down then pick back up again.

OP
OP
1ofU

1ofU

When the engine starts to die down if you have time go back to your primer bulb and give it a few pumps. I had a 873 that did something similar and it ended up being the fuel lift pump going bad. It would run fine for a while then just start falling flat. I pumped the bulb and it picked back up again and ran fine. Another thing, your pickup tube could have a crack and if the fuel shifts below the crack during operation you could suck air causing it to drop down then pick back up again.
Hello,
i went to start it and it took about 20 key turns to start , it was hitting just wouldnt start
got it started and it ran for a couple minutes the died , i then blew air back through the line before it reaches the hand pump and it went through the tank fine i could hear it , it would also pump fuel out the hand pump when you pumped it , so i then took the filter off it was almost complety empty so i figured the fuel pump went out , i orderd a fuel pump off ebay for 70.00 should be here in a few days ,, i hope this was the problem after all a fuel pump going out , any thing i need to know on a fuel pump change out ? just remove the old install the new pump ??
Thanks for all of the replies
Jess

antfarmer2

Hello,
i went to start it and it took about 20 key turns to start , it was hitting just wouldnt start
got it started and it ran for a couple minutes the died , i then blew air back through the line before it reaches the hand pump and it went through the tank fine i could hear it , it would also pump fuel out the hand pump when you pumped it , so i then took the filter off it was almost complety empty so i figured the fuel pump went out , i orderd a fuel pump off ebay for 70.00 should be here in a few days ,, i hope this was the problem after all a fuel pump going out , any thing i need to know on a fuel pump change out ? just remove the old install the new pump ??
Thanks for all of the replies
Jess
If you could blow into the tank it is more than likely your fuel pick up line is cracked

Mikefromcny

If you could blow into the tank it is more than likely your fuel pick up line is cracked
My old 873 is doing the exact same thing. I've been helping the guy I sold it to and am completely baffled why it won't run. It gelled up in me twice last year, but I was using it to move round bales last winter when it was -10. The 873 made me a believer is deutz up until now. Changed fuel filter, fuel isn't gelled, engine warm. Smokes and acts like it will run until you let off the starter. Guy said it was running fine last time it ran. My 883 is still not running, may have it narrowed down to bad injector pumps. I ended up buying a S250 with a Kubota I was so discouraged with deutz, and will sell the 883 when its back up and running. Try pointing a salamander heater at yours and getting the engine nice and warm. Let us know what you figure out.

antfarmer2

My old 873 is doing the exact same thing. I've been helping the guy I sold it to and am completely baffled why it won't run. It gelled up in me twice last year, but I was using it to move round bales last winter when it was -10. The 873 made me a believer is deutz up until now. Changed fuel filter, fuel isn't gelled, engine warm. Smokes and acts like it will run until you let off the starter. Guy said it was running fine last time it ran. My 883 is still not running, may have it narrowed down to bad injector pumps. I ended up buying a S250 with a Kubota I was so discouraged with deutz, and will sell the 883 when its back up and running. Try pointing a salamander heater at yours and getting the engine nice and warm. Let us know what you figure out.
If it runs till you let off the key I would look at the fuel shut off soliniod

jerry

even though I'm getting fuel to the injectors?
Mike, my new Holland did that also when the temp was around 0 . The fuel looked perfectly fine but if I changed filters within 20 minutes it would start to die. Put in a can of #1 and half bottle of 911 and no more trouble. I could not see any so called gel but some people say it gets just like soft butter. Our fuel here in Mn is 3% bio even in the winter now according to the delivery trucker.

Mikefromcny

Mike, my new Holland did that also when the temp was around 0 . The fuel looked perfectly fine but if I changed filters within 20 minutes it would start to die. Put in a can of #1 and half bottle of 911 and no more trouble. I could not see any so called gel but some people say it gets just like soft butter. Our fuel here in Mn is 3% bio even in the winter now according to the delivery trucker.
It has fresh winter blend diesel along with a bottle of 911 dumped in. I'll add some #1 and try that.

OP
OP
1ofU

1ofU

It has fresh winter blend diesel along with a bottle of 911 dumped in. I'll add some #1 and try that.
Hello,
good to see so many replies on this thread , ive order a new pickup screen with hose and the new fuel pump , so i will go ahead and install both new and if i have any other problems it shouldnt be those two giving any problems for awhile , if i still have problems i will just track it down and go from there , this isnt a low hour 873 it has 4040 hrs on it now but it is super clean both under the cab , motor area and inside the cab and it meets my needs when it running good , plenty of power and lifting power .will up date after i install the new parts and the out come .
Thanks again for the replies
Jess

antfarmer2

Hello,
good to see so many replies on this thread , ive order a new pickup screen with hose and the new fuel pump , so i will go ahead and install both new and if i have any other problems it shouldnt be those two giving any problems for awhile , if i still have problems i will just track it down and go from there , this isnt a low hour 873 it has 4040 hrs on it now but it is super clean both under the cab , motor area and inside the cab and it meets my needs when it running good , plenty of power and lifting power .will up date after i install the new parts and the out come .
Thanks again for the replies
Jess
I have heard the pickup tube is a pain to get out more of a feel job unless you pull the engine and the pump but can be done some just drill a new hole in the tank to mak it easyer

Mikefromcny

i will machine a new one from a 1/2 or 5/8 X2 bolt
or as needed , i normally machine most of the little stuff that i need
Jess
What are you machining? They pickup tube in the 873 wasn't too bad. I did mine outside when it was 20F. Getting the grommet in the tank and end the elbow in the grommet is the hardest part when its cold as things are stiff and you don't have much leverage in there. Mine probably took 20 mins to do. The 863 on the other hand was downright terrible and painful.

OP
OP
1ofU

1ofU

What are you machining? They pickup tube in the 873 wasn't too bad. I did mine outside when it was 20F. Getting the grommet in the tank and end the elbow in the grommet is the hardest part when its cold as things are stiff and you don't have much leverage in there. Mine probably took 20 mins to do. The 863 on the other hand was downright terrible and painful.
i will only machine as needed , but ive done all kinds of machine work for the last 15 yrs and ive done several petcocks from mowers to Harleys to axles for pulling tractors , ive got the covers off , it doesnt look to bad a job from the right side of the machine .
Jess

OP
OP
1ofU

1ofU

i will only machine as needed , but ive done all kinds of machine work for the last 15 yrs and ive done several petcocks from mowers to Harleys to axles for pulling tractors , ive got the covers off , it doesnt look to bad a job from the right side of the machine .
Jess
Hello,
my new fuel pump came today so i put it on and i removed the gromet on the tank , the only thing was it didnt have a hose/tube and pickup screen on it , it was bare ,,,, do you think i blew it off when i shot air back through the line ??? my new pickup screen and tube should be here tomorrow so i will get it back together , hope the problem is fixed on the 873 . it would be nice if the gromet pops back in as easy as it popped out .
Jess

antfarmer2

Hello,
my new fuel pump came today so i put it on and i removed the gromet on the tank , the only thing was it didnt have a hose/tube and pickup screen on it , it was bare ,,,, do you think i blew it off when i shot air back through the line ??? my new pickup screen and tube should be here tomorrow so i will get it back together , hope the problem is fixed on the 873 . it would be nice if the gromet pops back in as easy as it popped out .
Jess
Grease it up and bring it inside to warm up I allways was shooting for bad fuel line put the pickup line on and enjoy

OP
OP
1ofU

1ofU

Grease it up and bring it inside to warm up I allways was shooting for bad fuel line put the pickup line on and enjoy
Well sorry to say i still have a problem , replaced pickup tube & screen with new , new pickup pump , this is what it doing it will try to start and run for 30 -45 seconds or so and then die . the motor runs very slow like it running out of fuel . on the fuel filter if i take it off it's about 3/4 full of fuel i tried two filters and it does the same thing . if i fill the filter full to the top and put it back on the motor will start and run at full throttle for about a minute or two then it will die like it just ran out of fuel , i checked the line and the fuel will pump up with the hand pump , any idea's for trouble shooting more of the system . i live in a rural area so no dealers around closest bobcay dealer 3-4 hours away so i need to try to learn and fix the problem myself .
Thanks for any replies
Jess

jerry

Well sorry to say i still have a problem , replaced pickup tube & screen with new , new pickup pump , this is what it doing it will try to start and run for 30 -45 seconds or so and then die . the motor runs very slow like it running out of fuel . on the fuel filter if i take it off it's about 3/4 full of fuel i tried two filters and it does the same thing . if i fill the filter full to the top and put it back on the motor will start and run at full throttle for about a minute or two then it will die like it just ran out of fuel , i checked the line and the fuel will pump up with the hand pump , any idea's for trouble shooting more of the system . i live in a rural area so no dealers around closest bobcay dealer 3-4 hours away so i need to try to learn and fix the problem myself .
Thanks for any replies
Jess
Not familiar with your fuel pump set-up but if you can, take the line off before the filter and make sure it is pumping a good flow for several minutes into a clean container. If so then that eliminates so do the same after the filter. Just follow the flow up to the injection pump. can you manually hold the fuel shut-off open or bypass it to eliminate it as a problem? On my new Holland the see through filter never is full unless it is getting blocked .