Bobcat 873 doesnt want to run in zero temps

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

1ofU

hello
last week in the low 30's the 873 ran great worked it for 4 hrs straight with zero running problems , i needed to unload some steel and move a log splitter to the shop for a engine replacement today temps warmed up to 6 degree's so i went out to start the bobcat it started but it took alittle to get it going let it idle for 15 minutes started to take it out of it's unheated carport and it fell on it's face , it woulnt power up at high speed it was like all it could do was run at a idle speed , i run no 2 diesel with a fuel additive for jelling etc... any tips on this machine so it will run at 10 degree's or lower , i gave up got it back in the carport and went and started the John Deere backhoe took 1 shot of either to start right up with no jumper needed on the motor , it warmed up in 15 minutes and has no trouble running in the 10 degree and under range . i hope this machine will run in cold temps as it needs to work when i need it

Thanks for a replies
Jess

mark18mwm

I would say you gelled up with the cold temps. Which fuel conditioner did you use and how much do you have mixed in? When did you buy the fuel? If it is more than a couple months ago it might be a summer blend of fuel. Winter time fuel companies mix the fuel differently, I'm not talking about blended fuel like #2 mixed with #1, but regular #2 that was made for summer use has a higher "clouding" temperature then #2 made for winter. It will gel sooner . If it was me, at this point I would change the fuel filter and top off the tank with #1 with some Power service brand Diesel 911. Or find a way to get it inside and heated up, but still mix in some #1. then burn blended #1 and #2 mixed, or straight #1 when it's real cold. I am very partial to the power service brand of products, if you need to run #2, I would blend in some power service fuel additive(white bottle) to help keep from gelling. The diesel 911 (red bottle) helps after you have already gelled. I have driven semi and heavy equipment in northern WI. for 30 years and have never let myself gel up, a lot of people said I was wasting money with blended, #1 or power service but over the years I'v probably driven by thousands of gelled trucks that where going to soon be getting huge wrecker /service bills. Hope you get her going easy.

reaperman

I would say you gelled up with the cold temps. Which fuel conditioner did you use and how much do you have mixed in? When did you buy the fuel? If it is more than a couple months ago it might be a summer blend of fuel. Winter time fuel companies mix the fuel differently, I'm not talking about blended fuel like #2 mixed with #1, but regular #2 that was made for summer use has a higher "clouding" temperature then #2 made for winter. It will gel sooner . If it was me, at this point I would change the fuel filter and top off the tank with #1 with some Power service brand Diesel 911. Or find a way to get it inside and heated up, but still mix in some #1. then burn blended #1 and #2 mixed, or straight #1 when it's real cold. I am very partial to the power service brand of products, if you need to run #2, I would blend in some power service fuel additive(white bottle) to help keep from gelling. The diesel 911 (red bottle) helps after you have already gelled. I have driven semi and heavy equipment in northern WI. for 30 years and have never let myself gel up, a lot of people said I was wasting money with blended, #1 or power service but over the years I'v probably driven by thousands of gelled trucks that where going to soon be getting huge wrecker /service bills. Hope you get her going easy.
I use power service with strait #2 and havent had any trouble. I live in Minn and last winter we had the coldest weather with a lot of snow, never any problems. Like mentioned above, change your fuel filter and your problems will most likely disappear. Always keep one on hand during the winter. And occasionally, drain the water separator on the bottom of the filter.

OP
OP
1ofU

1ofU

I use power service with strait #2 and havent had any trouble. I live in Minn and last winter we had the coldest weather with a lot of snow, never any problems. Like mentioned above, change your fuel filter and your problems will most likely disappear. Always keep one on hand during the winter. And occasionally, drain the water separator on the bottom of the filter.
thanks for the replies , no 2 diesel is this winter blend delivered by MFA to bulk fuel tank
2 weeks ago , all filters were changed 10 hrs ago fuel filter new ,, will add some 911 and
see what happens sometime today , right now 7 outside with 10 below windchill
Thanks again for the replies
Jess

antfarmer2

thanks for the replies , no 2 diesel is this winter blend delivered by MFA to bulk fuel tank
2 weeks ago , all filters were changed 10 hrs ago fuel filter new ,, will add some 911 and
Jess
See if the vent on the fuel cap is freed up........is there a inline filter that you missed........maybe a cracked fuel line .....I don't blame it to cold for me too lol

mark18mwm

Jess
Ok, sounds like your fuel should be good. The reason I said change the filter is not that it may have been on the machine to long but rather that if it has gelled (which I still suspect) the filter that was on it when it gelled never seems to flow as good again as it did before gelling. I personally think it will start with a new filter, I don't know how the filter sits in that machine but if its up and down and can be filled before installing putting warm fuel in will help it start. Hope you get it going, sucks working on things when its cold out! Let us know how it turns out.

jerry

Ok, sounds like your fuel should be good. The reason I said change the filter is not that it may have been on the machine to long but rather that if it has gelled (which I still suspect) the filter that was on it when it gelled never seems to flow as good again as it did before gelling. I personally think it will start with a new filter, I don't know how the filter sits in that machine but if its up and down and can be filled before installing putting warm fuel in will help it start. Hope you get it going, sucks working on things when its cold out! Let us know how it turns out.
If you can warm the filter with a hair dryer try it and if that helps change it. Put the one you take off in a warm place where it can dry out. This happened to me last winter and went through 3 filters in two days before it got better but it was the fuel because everyone local had ttrouble.

jerry

If you can warm the filter with a hair dryer try it and if that helps change it. Put the one you take off in a warm place where it can dry out. This happened to me last winter and went through 3 filters in two days before it got better but it was the fuel because everyone local had ttrouble.
it happened to mine today, started it and let it idle for 10 minutes and as soon as I began to use it it died. It would start and run for half a minute at a time so I got it into the garage , changed filter and added 5 gallons new fuel with more power service and it seems ok now. In the past I mixed 2 and 1 half and half in cold weather and never had trouble in the winter so maybe will have to go back to that.

OP
OP
1ofU

1ofU

it happened to mine today, started it and let it idle for 10 minutes and as soon as I began to use it it died. It would start and run for half a minute at a time so I got it into the garage , changed filter and added 5 gallons new fuel with more power service and it seems ok now. In the past I mixed 2 and 1 half and half in cold weather and never had trouble in the winter so maybe will have to go back to that.
Thanks again for the replies , my tank is full so i cant add any other diesel to the tank ,i did add some red 911 but so far it hasnt help yet iam going to run a heater in the carport
and see if it helps it , if it still wont run i will change out the fuel fillter i checked and i have 11 hrs since i chenged the oil and all filters on the machine .
Thanks Again
Jess

jerry

Thanks again for the replies , my tank is full so i cant add any other diesel to the tank ,i did add some red 911 but so far it hasnt help yet iam going to run a heater in the carport
and see if it helps it , if it still wont run i will change out the fuel fillter i checked and i have 11 hrs since i chenged the oil and all filters on the machine .
Thanks Again
Jess
If your trouble is fuel, bio diesel or water or whatever you cant go by when you changed the filter last. For what they cost that is the first thing I do and if the new one clogs then you have to change the fuel. I have been told that a cupful of gasoline added to the tank will help but never tried it.

mark18mwm

Thanks Again
Jess
I would definitely change the filter. I have seen trucks (I know apples to oranges, but still same principle) that were gelled go through a 2 or 3 filters a day when gelling until they warm up. It is not that the filter is old or dirty, it just wont flow good after it has gelled. What is a few bucks if it helps get the thing running. Jerry, about the gas in the diesel. I wouldn't do it to my own machine, but years ago up here in WI. that was very common, everyone did it. I plow snow for a guy that has a New Holland LS160 and when its 0 or below he still puts a gallon of gas in the tank. It doesn't seem to hurt, he has done it for years. But like I say I don't think I could recommend it, especialy on new electronic controlled engines with all the different sensors they have now.

jerry

I would definitely change the filter. I have seen trucks (I know apples to oranges, but still same principle) that were gelled go through a 2 or 3 filters a day when gelling until they warm up. It is not that the filter is old or dirty, it just wont flow good after it has gelled. What is a few bucks if it helps get the thing running. Jerry, about the gas in the diesel. I wouldn't do it to my own machine, but years ago up here in WI. that was very common, everyone did it. I plow snow for a guy that has a New Holland LS160 and when its 0 or below he still puts a gallon of gas in the tank. It doesn't seem to hurt, he has done it for years. But like I say I don't think I could recommend it, especialy on new electronic controlled engines with all the different sensors they have now.
I had to change both filters again today, running ok now but tomorrow I will dump in a can of number 1 fuel. I don't think I would ever go with the gas idea either. My brother ,a trucker says you cant really see the difference when the fuel so called gells , it is very small particles of wax that clog the filters. I know my fuel looks perfectly fine but wont flow through.

OP
OP
1ofU

1ofU

I had to change both filters again today, running ok now but tomorrow I will dump in a can of number 1 fuel. I don't think I would ever go with the gas idea either. My brother ,a trucker says you cant really see the difference when the fuel so called gells , it is very small particles of wax that clog the filters. I know my fuel looks perfectly fine but wont flow through.
i changed out the filter and added some red 911 about 40 oz , i did get it started let it run about a hr but i never used it was mid 30 's this comming weekend temps are suppose to be in the mid 40's i run it out and see how it runs , hope the bug is over for this round
Thanks Again for all of the replies !!
Jess

mark18mwm

i changed out the filter and added some red 911 about 40 oz , i did get it started let it run about a hr but i never used it was mid 30 's this comming weekend temps are suppose to be in the mid 40's i run it out and see how it runs , hope the bug is over for this round
Jess
Good, if you had her running a hour, you got it fixed. It would habve died by then if it was still gelled. 30 degrees you won't have any more trouble. Glad you got her going!

bobcatguy

Jess
did you read the dosage for the 911? I understand you can hurt the engine if you overdose with that stuff.

OP
OP
1ofU

1ofU

did you read the dosage for the 911? I understand you can hurt the engine if you overdose with that stuff.
Hello,
lets hope i didnt damage the 873 by adding to much 911 .
ive got it running it still has a bug in it , it runs but ever now and then it will loose it high rpms and bog down to a idle but it will recover back to high rpms with a minute , i may have got some bad diesel ??? who knows , it ran for 2 hrs yesterday i will run it again today it's down to 1/2 tank of fuel i will try to run more out and add some new diesel from a fuel staition , ive only seen NO#2 diesel around here beside red dyed farm diesel so i'm stuck with 2# diesel , temps in the high 40'S this weekend in northern Missouri !
Thanks again for all the replies
Jess

OldMachinist

Hello,
lets hope i didnt damage the 873 by adding to much 911 .
ive got it running it still has a bug in it , it runs but ever now and then it will loose it high rpms and bog down to a idle but it will recover back to high rpms with a minute , i may have got some bad diesel ??? who knows , it ran for 2 hrs yesterday i will run it again today it's down to 1/2 tank of fuel i will try to run more out and add some new diesel from a fuel staition , ive only seen NO#2 diesel around here beside red dyed farm diesel so i'm stuck with 2# diesel , temps in the high 40'S this weekend in northern Missouri !
Thanks again for all the replies
Jess
Here in the middle of Illinois the red dyed fuel is the only way to get diesel that's not biodiesel. I had to clean out a fuel tank on a John Deere 2010 tractor last year that had been running biodiesel. MEK was the only thing that would cut the sludge build up.

OP
OP
1ofU

1ofU

Here in the middle of Illinois the red dyed fuel is the only way to get diesel that's not biodiesel. I had to clean out a fuel tank on a John Deere 2010 tractor last year that had been running biodiesel. MEK was the only thing that would cut the sludge build up.
Hello,
is that red dye diesel safe to run in my 873???
heck it's like 15cents cheaper than no#2 diesel
i must have some bad fuel or i have a problem as it ran like shit today
after about 2 hrs of running it started running normal but i still have a 1/2 tank
of fuel still in the tank . i want to run it all out or down to a 1/4 or so and refill with fresh fuel from a staition instead of the bulk fuel i received a couple weeks ago . i have MFA fill up a 200 gallon tank and most of the time it carries me through winter using the bobcat or backhoe .
Thanks again for any replies on the turd ~~~
Jess

OldMachinist

Hello,
is that red dye diesel safe to run in my 873???
heck it's like 15cents cheaper than no#2 diesel
i must have some bad fuel or i have a problem as it ran like shit today
after about 2 hrs of running it started running normal but i still have a 1/2 tank
of fuel still in the tank . i want to run it all out or down to a 1/4 or so and refill with fresh fuel from a staition instead of the bulk fuel i received a couple weeks ago . i have MFA fill up a 200 gallon tank and most of the time it carries me through winter using the bobcat or backhoe .
Thanks again for any replies on the turd ~~~
Jess
It's just normal diesel fuel that's dyed red because its for off road use only. Its cheaper because you're not paying any of the road taxes. If your 200 gallon tank is only used for the skid steer and backhoe that's the fuel you should be getting.