Bobcat 751 pug blue smoke

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Sbdrums24

Hello I have a '98 bobcat 751 2300 hours with a pug motor that doesn't have blue smoke on start up but smokes under a load all day long not bad though. You can barely see it. We ran her for 4 8 hour days straight and she used about 2 quarts of oil. Does not bog down or run bad at all. It actually runs like a new machine. Starts perfectly etc... just smokes under load. I can also smell it burning oil and it drives me crazy. Changed oil 15w 40 2 weeks ago and no change. Any help would be great. Thanks!

Tazza

Staff member
It sounds like you have a bad head gasket or ring allowing oil to be burnt. It could also be bad valve stem seals allowing oil to be burnt up too.
Even check the PCV valve, if its not working right, it could be pushing oil to the inlet manifold and allow it to be burnt up.

OP
OP
S

Sbdrums24

It sounds like you have a bad head gasket or ring allowing oil to be burnt. It could also be bad valve stem seals allowing oil to be burnt up too.
Even check the PCV valve, if its not working right, it could be pushing oil to the inlet manifold and allow it to be burnt up.
Thanks. How can I tell if the valve seals are bad? And head gasket? Compression test?

Tazza

Staff member
Thanks. How can I tell if the valve seals are bad? And head gasket? Compression test?
If it was valve stem seals, i'd suspect the inlet manifold would be quite oily. I'd remove the hose to the inlet manifold, see how it looks.
A compression test would tell you how your compression is going, but not if your oil rings are doing their jobs correctly.
Remember to check the PCV valve, it should be on the side of the engine near dip stick, ht will go from the breether to the inlet manifold or air box somewhere. I can't remember exactly.