T550 blowing black smoke

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

foton

check the air filters, maybe run sitting still with the primary filter out to see if it clears.

OP
OP
F

fogg

1800 hrs did a filter change 2 weeks ago I have triple checked them and checked fuel for any kind of contamination oil level is in the middle of the high and low marks and is very hard to get started.
I took it to bobcat today and they said my entire fuel system is fried. I was so confused on how a machine can be running fine without any issues at all and now 2 hours later my entire system is fried and for only 8k they can fix it I asked how does something like this happen with no prior symptoms I was told this is how it happens. I believe its a single injector. I would need more of an explanation to believe the entire system is fried

brdgbldr

1800 hrs did a filter change 2 weeks ago I have triple checked them and checked fuel for any kind of contamination oil level is in the middle of the high and low marks and is very hard to get started.
I took it to bobcat today and they said my entire fuel system is fried. I was so confused on how a machine can be running fine without any issues at all and now 2 hours later my entire system is fried and for only 8k they can fix it I asked how does something like this happen with no prior symptoms I was told this is how it happens. I believe it's a single injector. I would need more of an explanation to believe the entire system is fried.
I can't remember what models were involved but I have heard of this happening. There was a fuel system that was used that could not handle the slightest bit of contamination.

I was told that most of the failures happened because a poor quality fuel filter was used. I've seen videos of counterfeit filters that even have a Bobcat logo on them and come in a Bobcat box. Once they are cracked open you can see how cheaply made they are. This goes for other brands also. So always buy quality filters from a known source.

I hope you are correct and it's just an injector. Keep in mind that on some models the injectors have to be re-zeroed/tuned with a computer.

mrbb

well that sucks if its the whole system, I hope you get lucky and just a single injector.
and yes 100% These days there are so many folks trying to scam us with counterfeit products, its just terrible, Ebay, Amazon and likes are famous for them having them at prices have what OEM wants, and temp so many to buy them
and no real recourse when you get scammed, is why I gather so many make and sell them

as for why your system went from good to bad, any chance you got bad fuel, or worse, someone added gasoline to it by mistake?
If I was you I would maybe try draining tank, and seeing if tank is clean, so, IF you do fix things, you are starting off with a known clean fuel supply and tank!
also, with fuel, there have been known issues with diesel, getting allege Bacterial growth, and other types of fuel quality issue's

bad fuel can cause many of your issues, from hard starting to black smoke to low power and so on, so, MAYBE try draining /cleaning tank and hope you get lucky and just got BAD fuel over major work needed?/
if nothing else, it won't hurt to have a clean tank and new fuel?
good luck and let us know what the real issues ends up being

2bobcats

I had a similar problem with black smoke. Have you checked the head gaskets because it can happen all at once. Good luck.

OP
OP
F

fogg

I pulled the injectors they look rough
1713455111763678030503669371267.jpg

Firefighter

not to sound stupid, but i had one where the turbo waste gate rod unhooked from the waste gate, no power lots of smoke, also had one break the turbine shaft, did the same thing, if the engine didnt have any loud knocking noise n still ran smooth i kinda doubt that it is injectors, just saying

OP
OP
F

fogg

I started back at square one going over everything again I will admit I'm colorblind so when I examined the fuel I thought it had some off-road mixed in with it then my son stopped by and saw the 2 fuel samples on the bench and brought it to my attention that there was something very wrong with the fuel out of my machine

Tazza

Staff member
Fuel systems can be damaged by bad fuel, it happens often. We had a V2203 come in that someone managed to put diesel in a chlorine drum, it rusted the pump and the injectors. It was repairable, but it was badly damaged.

What model engine are you running? i'm guessing a common rail, the fuel system components are stupid expensive :(

Latest posts