Bobcat 743 vs. Thomas T133

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

fairmountvewe

The short version - First post. Been lurking here for a while. Want to buy a skid steer for the farm (round bale work, cleaning manure, snow removal, light ground work etc). Found a 1992 Thomas T133 with a backhoe and float (4800 hrs), and a 1988 Bobcat 743 with just a bucket (1900 hrs). Both are about the same as far as capacity, lift etc. The Thomas has a heater, both have aux. hydraulics. My big concern is that the Thomas could use new tires all around (3 different brands, all the same size, but I don't know if the wear between one and the other causes a circumfrence difference that will be a problem) and the Thomas doesn't attach to any of my existing stuff (all our tractors have universal SS QA plates, same for the buckets, bale spears bale grabbers etc). Price wise, the Thomas is about twice the Bobcat, but there is a lot more in the package. Brand loyalties aside, is one far superior than the other, is one easier to maintain than the other? Any opinions or comments?

Dogsluvtrux

Read and re-read your post...granted, I run a Bobcat dealership so I'm biased...twice the hours, won't work with your other attachment and twice the price? Just guessing here, but a 743B with 1900 hours in good shape should be somewhere around 7k so the thomas would be what 12-14k? You could buy a backhoe and still be roughly the same amount of $...the other thing, it doesn't matter what color a piece of equipment is, it will break, and you will need parts...check on parts availabilty for each machine. That should factor heavily in your decision.

Tazza

Staff member
Read and re-read your post...granted, I run a Bobcat dealership so I'm biased...twice the hours, won't work with your other attachment and twice the price? Just guessing here, but a 743B with 1900 hours in good shape should be somewhere around 7k so the thomas would be what 12-14k? You could buy a backhoe and still be roughly the same amount of $...the other thing, it doesn't matter what color a piece of equipment is, it will break, and you will need parts...check on parts availabilty for each machine. That should factor heavily in your decision.
I have to agree here too.
The 743 range is still supported by the dealer, parts are easily bought, pump and enigne parts are not dealer only, this will save you a bunch if needed down the track.
I don't know what the situation is with Thomas now, i know they were in trouble but were bailed out. This may or may not have effected the availability of parts.....

sledesigns

I have to agree here too.
The 743 range is still supported by the dealer, parts are easily bought, pump and enigne parts are not dealer only, this will save you a bunch if needed down the track.
I don't know what the situation is with Thomas now, i know they were in trouble but were bailed out. This may or may not have effected the availability of parts.....
I wasn't Bobcat loyal until I bought parts for my 35 year old machine and they had them in by the end of the week each time. And it was easy to work on. Sure Bobcat has a couple of weaker SS in their 50 some machine lineup over the years. But the 743 sure ain't one of 'em. I've heard it refered to as "built like a tank"

OP
OP
F

fairmountvewe

Thanks all. Good points. I had a long talk with she who will be obeyed, and I bought the Bobcat. Here's hoping it works out. Now to learn a couple of new skills.