542 vs 743

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

dl_harmsen

Looking at a pair of used skid steers for just some light general farm use a few times a month. Needing to replace a Case 1835 that threw a rod through the block-not much for reliever options out there on this machine.

Pros/Cons on 542 vs 743?

Would like decent lift capacity to lift or push some smaller cornstalk round bales, but mostly will be used for lighter use and needs to get in and out of tight spaces in livestock barns.

Thanks, any help would be appreciated.

542 I'm looking at has 1700 hours and 743 has around 4000.

Tazza

Staff member
The 743 has a higher lifting capacity, and is diesel, the 542 is smaller and petrol/gas

Personally, i'd go the 743

foton

the only reason I would go for the 542 is if you live in a area that is bitter cold most of the time ,like the north face of alaska ,gas will start easier there.

haymaker

I had both. The 542 goes down the barn aisle since it is only 48 inches wide and I could get it through smaller gates and into stalls. I could also take it out on small jobs like boring post holes and loading firewood on a much smaller trailer allowing me to get into a lot of places I can't with a bigger machine.
I had a 743 but after years of pushing snow out in the elements I upgraded to a s510 with a cab and heat and a bit more hydraulic flow and blow the snow now.
I do still use both but the s510 is my work horse.
I bought the 542 when I moved onto the farm 35 years ago and I still say it was the best purchase I ever made.
That said if it is going to be a site machine and you have round bales to move over 800 pounds I would go with the 743 if I could only have 1 machine.
Just remember to put in plenty of anti gel if you live where it gets well below freezing. I did have it freeze up in the drive down to the barn on more than 1 occasion.
JMHO

Latest posts