Bobcat 743 tires and wheels

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

RBobJones

The tires on my 1990 Bobcat 743 are slick and need to be replaced. They are 10 x 16.5. For general farmette use do they need to be foam-filled or is air-filled O.K.? Is it best to buy the wheels too and have the tires already mounted on new wheels rather than pay the cost of mounting on the existing rims?

farmshop

Air filled is fine. As long as the rims are ok, just buy tires.
I would buy new tires reuse old rims as long as they are not rusted inside or too bent. Spend a little more and get heavier ply tire they will last longer and resist damage better than cheaper tires

mmsllc

I would buy new tires reuse old rims as long as they are not rusted inside or too bent. Spend a little more and get heavier ply tire they will last longer and resist damage better than cheaper tires
Foam filling your new tires will make them virtually maintenance free = you will never have a flat tire again. I'm not too sure where you would have them filled, but it is worth the cost if you work around hazards that would otherwise make your machine useless. I like to foam fill new tires. They can add some more weight to the machine, too. That can help you out if your machine is operating close to its tip over point. The other obvious advantage is that the tires no longer squat under a heavy load. I've been told that the only two down falls of foam filled tires are 1.) the initial cost of having them foam filled & 2.) it can / does put extra pressure on the wheel bearings. Besides those two small issues, it is easily worth doing. With all of that now said, air filled tires are just fine too, though. It all kind of depends on what you will be doing with your machine. I really don't think BOBCATS come with foam filled tires, so that is a good indication of running on air only.

Bobcatdan

Foam filling your new tires will make them virtually maintenance free = you will never have a flat tire again. I'm not too sure where you would have them filled, but it is worth the cost if you work around hazards that would otherwise make your machine useless. I like to foam fill new tires. They can add some more weight to the machine, too. That can help you out if your machine is operating close to its tip over point. The other obvious advantage is that the tires no longer squat under a heavy load. I've been told that the only two down falls of foam filled tires are 1.) the initial cost of having them foam filled & 2.) it can / does put extra pressure on the wheel bearings. Besides those two small issues, it is easily worth doing. With all of that now said, air filled tires are just fine too, though. It all kind of depends on what you will be doing with your machine. I really don't think BOBCATS come with foam filled tires, so that is a good indication of running on air only.
Unless you are working around a lot of puncture problems, foam filling is overkill for most people. On a farm I see little reason to foam fill.

7LBSSMALLIE

Unless you are working around a lot of puncture problems, foam filling is overkill for most people. On a farm I see little reason to foam fill.
keep in mind buyinig cheap tires is like buying a cheap toilet. its never a win. go with thc B?C heavy wall and put in sealant slime whatever. you wont regret it.

Rental stop

keep in mind buyinig cheap tires is like buying a cheap toilet. its never a win. go with thc B?C heavy wall and put in sealant slime whatever. you wont regret it.
You get what you pay for. I have had bad luck with Soilideal. Had Xtra wall and skid dawgs. Didn't last long (300hrs)Carlisle Guard Dog HD are close to Bobcat Heavy Duty. Deestone are pretty tough. Titans are good as well. Foam filled cost me $1300 with Deestone on my wheels. Shredded by a customer in a dump. Had to cut off. Customer paid for that set and the next of foam filled set were destroyed by demo contractor. Air tires are fine unless you are in demo or a dump. A good set of 10x16.5 will run about $800 mounted on your wheels. Last set of Carlisle Guard Dog HD/w wheels was $1200 off eBay.

Latest posts