Bobcat 743 engine removal... Now what?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

rjdavis61

I bought a 743 for general home use and one of my hydrolic pipes sprang a leak. Unfortunately I have to take engine out to get to it. Any recommendations of what to do on it and compartment while I have it out?

Tazza

Staff member
When you are in there, de-grease it all the best you can. This area will fill up with masses of goo, as you can't get in there to was it out. This is generally why they tube lines rust, they allow water to sit and rot out the lines.
When in there, ensure your universal joints are in good shape and give them a grease.
Check the seal at the back of the pump, if it's leaking, now is the time to change it out. It is rare for it to leak though.
Depending on how bad the line is that is leaking, you can sometimes take it out and braze it up. I have had machines that had spots that rubbed through, so a bit of bronze fixed the leaks. The same goes with the rusty ones, if there is just a few spots that are bad, give them a good buff with a wire wheel and braze up the pitted areas.
I have done multiple 743s, if you get stuck, look up my profile and flick me an email.

OP
OP
R

rjdavis61

When you are in there, de-grease it all the best you can. This area will fill up with masses of goo, as you can't get in there to was it out. This is generally why they tube lines rust, they allow water to sit and rot out the lines.
When in there, ensure your universal joints are in good shape and give them a grease.
Check the seal at the back of the pump, if it's leaking, now is the time to change it out. It is rare for it to leak though.
Depending on how bad the line is that is leaking, you can sometimes take it out and braze it up. I have had machines that had spots that rubbed through, so a bit of bronze fixed the leaks. The same goes with the rusty ones, if there is just a few spots that are bad, give them a good buff with a wire wheel and braze up the pitted areas.
I have done multiple 743s, if you get stuck, look up my profile and flick me an email.
Is there a pin that holds the engine spline onto the transmission? I don't see how I can access it. I have cab up..... Or does engine just slide out? I've heard both versons

mmsllc

Is there a pin that holds the engine spline onto the transmission? I don't see how I can access it. I have cab up..... Or does engine just slide out? I've heard both versons
I suggest drilling drain holes (carefully, with a 1" to 2" hole saw) to help wash the crap out. I have yet to need to pull an engine out, but as soon as I need to, I will be drilling a few holes myself. The extra ability to wash the crap out & help water drain out is PRICELESS!!

OP
OP
R

rjdavis61

I suggest drilling drain holes (carefully, with a 1" to 2" hole saw) to help wash the crap out. I have yet to need to pull an engine out, but as soon as I need to, I will be drilling a few holes myself. The extra ability to wash the crap out & help water drain out is PRICELESS!!
Great idea thanks. I've looked and don't see access to a pin so hopefully it slides right out