Bobcat 742 very hard to start

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

MtBaldyBobcat

Hi folks, I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction so I can maybe use my 742 to plow the foot of snow currently in my driveway. I just can't get it started. Some history: My 742 (w/ Ford engine) has always been hard to start, but once started, it usually ran fine, though it does seem perhaps a tad underpowered (just guessing here since I have no other point of comparison). Starting almost always took a jump, even with a good battery at full charge, since I usually had to work it a while. More recently, I replaced the points with the Pertronix module, and I've also replaced the coil, wires, cap, rotor, & plugs (multiple times out of desperation, incl. points and condenser before Pertronix). The Pertronix & new coil didn't seem to make any difference (still hard to start; but ran "fine" once started). With the plug out and grounded, the spark looks good. Now that I have a foot of snow in my driveway (in the mtns. of southern California), I'd love to plow the driveway, but I just can't get it started. Squirting starting fluid in the intake (after removing new air filter) gets a couple sputters, but nowhere near turning over. A friend and I checked the compression last night: 110-110-100-100 psi when stone cold & not having run in 6+ months; 135-130-120-120 cold after a few squirts of oil. Though I'm far from being a real-live mechanic, I'm running out of ideas. Any suggestions? Thanks.

reaperman

Gas engines need two things to start, spark and gas. It sounds like you have the spark end covered. How about the gas? Carb issues or filter restrictions or even a weak fuel pump, which is mechanical on that unit. Have you checked the air filter? And have you tried to start it with the air filter out and give it a shot of carb cleaner or starting fluid?

mmsllc

Gas engines need two things to start, spark and gas. It sounds like you have the spark end covered. How about the gas? Carb issues or filter restrictions or even a weak fuel pump, which is mechanical on that unit. Have you checked the air filter? And have you tried to start it with the air filter out and give it a shot of carb cleaner or starting fluid?
Spark & fuel! Having a spark doesn't mean that it is actually a GOOD spark. Have you tried using a calibrated spark tester? Or are we just seeing a weak color spark that is jumping to ground?what color of spark are we talking about? Light orange? Bright blue spark? If spraying starting fluid doesn't start the engine momentarily, then the ignition system is likely to blame. Does this engine use points & condensor??

mmsllc

Spark & fuel! Having a spark doesn't mean that it is actually a GOOD spark. Have you tried using a calibrated spark tester? Or are we just seeing a weak color spark that is jumping to ground?what color of spark are we talking about? Light orange? Bright blue spark? If spraying starting fluid doesn't start the engine momentarily, then the ignition system is likely to blame. Does this engine use points & condensor??
Are you certain that the distributor is installed correctly? Has it Been replaced while trying to get this engine to start easily?

jerry

Are you certain that the distributor is installed correctly? Has it Been replaced while trying to get this engine to start easily?
Take the air inlet hose off the carb and make sure the choke is closing completely, I had the same trouble with a 632 and it was the choke not completely closing.