Bobcat 742 engine temperature monitoring

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

afrattalone

Hello. I got a 1990 bobcat 742 gas with the Ford engine. I'm had about six months. I went through and did all the maintenance that it needed. However, I can't seem to get out the old temperature gauge to work even after replacing it. The actual sensor (monitors the coolant I believe) is stuck real bad. Is there any way I can add an auxiliary temperature monitor? On Amazon I see they sell some for $10-$20 but I wasn't sure where I would attach it and what temperature to consider normal versus high. Thanks in advance

Chris 8603

I'm not sure what your talking about being stuck for the gauge not to work. Most I've ever dealt with have the bourbon tube style or electric sensor type gauges. You can put whichever style temp gauge on it you want. It just has to have the sensor in the coolant somewhere, preferably before the thermostat. Typically the temp on most any engine is normally around 180 degrees.

OP
OP
A

afrattalone

I'm not sure what your talking about being stuck for the gauge not to work. Most I've ever dealt with have the bourbon tube style or electric sensor type gauges. You can put whichever style temp gauge on it you want. It just has to have the sensor in the coolant somewhere, preferably before the thermostat. Typically the temp on most any engine is normally around 180 degrees.
Thanks. I ordered a new coolant sensor but I can't get the old one out to replace it. Tried lots of tricks like penetrating oil, heat etc. so wondering if there's a different way i can monitor the engine temp.

Chris 8603

There should be other plugs on the block or head you can take out and put the new one in. I've never seen a temp sensor stuck that tight !!! Nothing else break it off and drill it out a bit and run a pipe plug tap in it to get it all out and reuse that hole.