best tiller for the $

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

luckyone

Hello everyone! Newbie here. considering purchasing a tiller between now and next spring. have a 99' new holland lx 865 (standard flow). wow they are expensive... is there any that stand above others? any a guy should stay away from? best for the money? If i just can't sit with the money needed to get one worth owning, i'm thinking about a quick tach plate, weld a bar across it, and weld some tines to the bar. If i end up going that way, i bet there are folks on this forum that could steer me straight. Thank you in advance.

skidsteer.ca

@ $3500 could get you a new Erskine rotary tiller, which I realize in not cheap but is a hi torq tiller with dual drive motors.
There are some used ones from time to time at online auctions
What you are talking about building is a scarifier and factory built units are available too.
A scarifier won't break material as fine as the tiller will, but I guess it all comes down to your needs and how much you intend to used it.
Ken

Miker67

@ $3500 could get you a new Erskine rotary tiller, which I realize in not cheap but is a hi torq tiller with dual drive motors.
There are some used ones from time to time at online auctions
What you are talking about building is a scarifier and factory built units are available too.
A scarifier won't break material as fine as the tiller will, but I guess it all comes down to your needs and how much you intend to used it.
Ken
Have you tried looking at Tractor Supply? When my present $300.00 used rotary finaly dies, I plan on getting one of the 3 pt models TSC sells and putting a bobtach plate and a hydraulic motor on it. They are less than half what you were quoted.
They also sell ripper teeth individually so you could assemble quite a nice DIY scarifier like you are thinking of doing. TSC's stuff isn't the finest money can buy, but it will work quite nicely for 90% of the users out there.

Goblish

Have you tried looking at Tractor Supply? When my present $300.00 used rotary finaly dies, I plan on getting one of the 3 pt models TSC sells and putting a bobtach plate and a hydraulic motor on it. They are less than half what you were quoted.
They also sell ripper teeth individually so you could assemble quite a nice DIY scarifier like you are thinking of doing. TSC's stuff isn't the finest money can buy, but it will work quite nicely for 90% of the users out there.
I am also looking at buying a tiller and was set on a bobcat 76" one until going to the statefair here in MN and seen a after market one that is 78" and has dual hyd. motors, and is also high flow. The bobcat brand does not offer high flow or dual motors. So I'm wondering if all this is needed or not. I have high flow on my S750 and would like to use it if I can. Any help on best choice would be great as I plan on buying one real so. Thanks.

dsileo

I am also looking at buying a tiller and was set on a bobcat 76" one until going to the statefair here in MN and seen a after market one that is 78" and has dual hyd. motors, and is also high flow. The bobcat brand does not offer high flow or dual motors. So I'm wondering if all this is needed or not. I have high flow on my S750 and would like to use it if I can. Any help on best choice would be great as I plan on buying one real so. Thanks.
I bought the eriskane 66 inch dual drive unit. It's a commercial grade tiller with plenty of power to tiller just about anything up to a fine powder. Expensive is relative. You get what you pay....Great product.

skidsteer.ca

Hi flow will let you put more of the engine hp to the tiller, which ill let you work it harder without stalling the tiller. If yu have it on the loader you may as well take advantage of it on the attachment.
Skidsteer.ca