What signs do you look for when vetting an attachment?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

AK_Mike

Hey Everyone,

I'm interested in hearing about what you all check for when vetting a new attachment. Some answers I've seen so far have been Steel Quality, Weld Quality (full penetration + complete seams), Reinforcement plates at stress points, Common size used for cylinders / seals (for easy / accessible replacement), and even checking the length of the hydraulic hoses since the requirements can vary from machine to machine.

Curious to hear from the group what your decision points and disqualifying elements are.

Fabricator

I'd say the very first thing I look at is weld quality. It really speaks to whether the manufacturer cares at all about what they're putting together. Bird poop, booger, or bubble gum welds mean I don't have to look any further.

ddbackhoe

Hey Everyone,

I'm interested in hearing about what you all check for when vetting a new attachment. Some answers I've seen so far have been Steel Quality, Weld Quality (full penetration + complete seams), Reinforcement plates at stress points, Common size used for cylinders / seals (for easy / accessible replacement), and even checking the length of the hydraulic hoses since the requirements can vary from machine to machine.

Curious to hear from the group what your decision points and disqualifying elements are.
movable joints, pipe and a bolt or greaseable pins and bushings? Slop in the joints or shimmed out for a tight fit? Auger drive (planetary or chain or ?), Hydraulic motor (brand, low rpm/high torque, location on attach), hydraulic motor interface, diverter valve (brand, pilot operated)
Added 2 rototillers (both china) one leaves the hyd motor very vulnerable and is direct drive, second is belt drive but needs a drain line.

Attachments

• A6E3E48E-D034-4B0A-AA10-729C9F71A666.jpeg
    A6E3E48E-D034-4B0A-AA10-729C9F71A666.jpeg
    18.5 KB · Views: 50
  • E62A4B1C-3552-41FD-B47E-0CEBE07A5720.jpeg
    E62A4B1C-3552-41FD-B47E-0CEBE07A5720.jpeg
    42.4 KB · Views: 52
OP
OP
A

AK_Mike

I'd say the very first thing I look at is weld quality. It really speaks to whether the manufacturer cares at all about what they're putting together. Bird poop, booger, or bubble gum welds mean I don't have to look any further.
LOL I love this -- genuinely an awesome heuristic for vetting welds. Thanks for the reply!

OP
OP
A

AK_Mike

It needs to be heavily built enough that I wont destroy it, yet light enough that my machine can handle it.

Sounds like a tricky line to toe. Since new machines have been getting more powerful, have you seen attachments tend to get more heavily built in response? I'd imagine the cost of steel is a barrier there, but wondering if any brands have been really upping their quality the past few years.

OP
OP
A

AK_Mike

I have bought some things from Quickattach. Suppose to have the best steel?
Do you know what type of steel they use? I've seen everything from Grade 50 to AR400, which are pretty wildly different in yield strength capacity (AR400 can be 3x the yield strength pf Grade 50)

Latest posts