Axle Seal on an 825

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

steve911

Hi all, spent the summer in my free time refurbishing an 825. Its now together and running well. But I have 2 issues. 1. the motor in the machine is a 4.108 Perkins. The valve cover gasket needs to be changed. The gasket is available through Bobcat which I bought. the two grommet type seals that the two hold down bolts go through are not available. I dont want to change the gasket without doing the grommets. Where can I get these? The 2nd issue is I need an axle seal replaced. I got too close to the seal when I was pressure washing the machine and I believe that the seal got cut /torn. What can I expect to pay to have the seal replaced? thanks Steve A.

frogfarmer

Parts for that 4.108 should be easy to get many companies from that era used perkins power plants. Several old New Holland skids had 4.108 perkins. Don't quote me but I think the 4.108 is actually a Mazda built diesel. Same engine was used in 83 84 Ford Ranger trucks. Never had an 825 apart. If its like the 43 series of machine the repair takes several hours and I would expect a grand to fix at a dealer.

jeffco

Parts for that 4.108 should be easy to get many companies from that era used perkins power plants. Several old New Holland skids had 4.108 perkins. Don't quote me but I think the 4.108 is actually a Mazda built diesel. Same engine was used in 83 84 Ford Ranger trucks. Never had an 825 apart. If its like the 43 series of machine the repair takes several hours and I would expect a grand to fix at a dealer.
Several skid steers have used the perkins 4.108, do a google for the parts, there is an english company with great prices on what I believe were original parts. Sorry, can't help with the name. If you have a front seal leak its not as hard, labor wise as the rear. The rear seals require engine removal as well as the pump assembly to be removed, don't do that job until you have a service manual because there are many seamily meaningless step to do, and all need to be done in order. good luck, jeffco

frogfarmer

After some research I don't think the 4.108 is a Mazda after all. The 4.154 is the Mazda. Given that info the parts my be even easier to locate. Try your local CAT dealer CAT is the owner of Perkins these days.

coreya3212

After some research I don't think the 4.108 is a Mazda after all. The 4.154 is the Mazda. Given that info the parts my be even easier to locate. Try your local CAT dealer CAT is the owner of Perkins these days.
Sorry to the above, but the engine does not need to be removed for axle seal replacement, but the pump needs to come out to get at the rears as stated.

OP
OP
S

steve911

Sorry to the above, but the engine does not need to be removed for axle seal replacement, but the pump needs to come out to get at the rears as stated.
I took it to Bobcat as alot of the "guts" from the inside of the machine had to be removed to get to the axle to remove it along with the axle tube. While in there the tech discovered two hoses that had been chaffing against each other and were close to bursting. Good news is the seal is in and doesnt leak and as frog farmer in a previous post said, It did cost a grand to fix (including the 2 hoses).

frogfarmer

I took it to Bobcat as alot of the "guts" from the inside of the machine had to be removed to get to the axle to remove it along with the axle tube. While in there the tech discovered two hoses that had been chaffing against each other and were close to bursting. Good news is the seal is in and doesnt leak and as frog farmer in a previous post said, It did cost a grand to fix (including the 2 hoses).
Glad to here shes back on the job. And although it stings now its a lot cheaper than 24 payments at a grand a piece.