Another Seat Belt Switch Issue

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

BoilerMan

Hello Everyone! This my first post and I thought I would share with you what happened this past weekend. My seat belt switch had been acting up for a couple of years. I had been making do by slamming the buckle together and hoping that the switch would make. Well about two weeks ago I wanted to put my snow bucket on and clear a little snow, about 8", from the drive. It was a fine Upstate New York morning clear and cold about 10 degrees F. I climbed into skidsteer and began slamming the buckle together after about 10 minutes of slamming I came to the conclusion that I needed a new seat belt switch. The following Monday I called the local equipment dealer and did a price and availability on a seat beat buckle for an New Holland LX565. They had one in stock and I cried all the way to the bank to get the price. I was told that I had to buy the entire assembly belt retractor and buckle. I finally got around to installing the parts this past weekend. (I learned that it was best to use a 3/8" breaker bar and socket to hold the nuts) After installing both new parts I sat in the seat buckled up and my problem was solved or so I thought. I wanted to connect my shoulder harness to the seat belt and discovered that there was no place on the new belt tang to make the connection. (My mistake in not noticing that at the store) The old belt tang fit the new buckle so out with the new and in with the old. I may take the two belt retractors to an upholstery shop and see if they can stitch the old tang onto the new belt. If there is a point to this story it may be to check your parts at the counter to make sure you get what you want and that machine specific replacement parts are not always specific when dealing with older equipment. I hope to hear from you all and I will chip in now and again.

skidsteer.ca

Yeah, they all do it sooner or later, still waiting for mine to puke.
Contemplating what could be used to replace it and the seat switch. I'm all for being safe, but right now I'm splitting wood, Saw up a little, then climb it the loader, do up the belt, start the engine get out and split. I'm thinking a remote start would be a great thing, should be able to wire in a command start?
Ken

Earthwerks Unlimited

I found this place on the net. The electrical connector looks the same as mine on the L785. Sure beats the price NH charges. http://wescoperformance.stores.yahoo.net/forklift-seat-belts.html
There is a little red micro switch inside. Mine puked under warranty. All you'd have to do is bypass the seat belt buckle and use a toggle switch. You could hide the switch and use it a theft deterrent. The seat switch on mine had the wire at the connection break form it going up and down (it' the deluxe suspended seat). I bypassesd the switch and installed a hidden toggle switch for that too. Be sure to leave the switches off when not using it overnite because they will still send power to the instrument panel and drain the battery---HEY! another theft deterrent! BTW, as I said in another post the seat belt system NH uses is NOT designed to be used outdoors like we use it--it designed to be used for commercial trucks and busses like a UPS truck that has a pedestal-type seat. I know this because when I installed my new one from NH it came with instructions on how to install it in a TRUCK.

JRK

I replaced the switch, but that did not fix the problem. The LS170 still shuts down when I remove the seat belt from the buckle. Any other ideas?

skidsteer.ca

I replaced the switch, but that did not fix the problem. The LS170 still shuts down when I remove the seat belt from the buckle. Any other ideas?
The seat swich shouldnot killthe engine, just lock the foot pedals when you unfasten the belt.
Something else must be going on. Do you have any red lights it on the EIC guage panel when it shuts off?
Ken

Earthwerks Unlimited

You replaced which switch? There may be one or two seat switches. And the switches do go bad, as does the wire connection as I found on my new machine. My buddy has an Lx665 which is like the 170. He replaced the seat switch and it still wouldn't allow the machine to start (not like your situation). He disconnected the switch and now uses a small jumper wire.