97 bobcat331 dipper arm not working

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Fishfiles

Something so simple but the problem always is, you never know what the previous owner(s) meddled with before you got it, nice find!
Fishfiles - the spanner that was made lesewhere that moved the opposite direction may have been a left handed one. Not like a left handed screwdriver though :) they actually made shifters/crescent wrenches for lefties and righties. It's a real pain when you have just one alien in your tool box and you pick it up......
The channel lock pliers you mention we call multi-grips, you open them up and move then to adjust the opening size? if so, they seem to wear the locking/pivot point out too often for my liking.
We also have pipe wrenches that we stilsons, they are great at tearing large chunks out of cylinder gland nuts when you don't have the correct tool......
Stillson is something I do hear , mostly pipe wrench and alot of monkey wrench ,I got a 48 inch and a 36inch and have messed a few gland nuts myself --------- the pliers you call multi purpose is also called water pump pliers , why I don't know as I have never used them to work on a water pump , a got a huge pair of channel locks and it is my favorite tool to open cylinders iot they are not stuck too bad , chain wrenches work sometimes also -----side cutter wire pliers have alot of different names , diagonal pliers , dikes and I hear some call them triangular pliers ----------I never thought about left handed Crescent (shifter ) wrench , I got a 10 inch shifter that has a locking handle on it like a vise grip pliers , you can adjusted it to size and lock it down , never use it

Tazza

Staff member
Stillson is something I do hear , mostly pipe wrench and alot of monkey wrench ,I got a 48 inch and a 36inch and have messed a few gland nuts myself --------- the pliers you call multi purpose is also called water pump pliers , why I don't know as I have never used them to work on a water pump , a got a huge pair of channel locks and it is my favorite tool to open cylinders iot they are not stuck too bad , chain wrenches work sometimes also -----side cutter wire pliers have alot of different names , diagonal pliers , dikes and I hear some call them triangular pliers ----------I never thought about left handed Crescent (shifter ) wrench , I got a 10 inch shifter that has a locking handle on it like a vise grip pliers , you can adjusted it to size and lock it down , never use it
We call them side cutters too. Channel lock pliers that you mention, i haven't seen any big enough to un-do a gland, i ahve seen some big just not that big :)
Not sure how you'd use it on a water pump either.

melli

We call them side cutters too. Channel lock pliers that you mention, i haven't seen any big enough to un-do a gland, i ahve seen some big just not that big :)
Haha...funny...the very first thing I did when I got Bobby was use a pipe wrench on a loose gland nut. I could see pretty quickly that I'd have more problems than a loose nut (excuse the pun). Hard to believe how much a bloody gland wrench costs, but I found one that actually works on the big one at amazon.....http://www.amazon.com/CTA-Tools-8600-Adjustable-Wrench/dp/B005OH0LQM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1359429603&sr=8-2&keywords=Small+Adjustable+Gland+Nut+Wrench $18 delivered. Crescent wrench, locking pliers out here on the coast............Fishfiles - locking crescent wrench sounds good on paper...god knows how many times i've cussed when my crescent wrench self adjusts when using it.

Fishfiles

Tazza , link to large channel locks with 4 " opening , saves alot of time , if it doesn't break gland nut loose it is still very helpful once loose as you can roll with it , if you don't have a pair of these I would get one as I use this tool alot in all kinds of different applications http://www.amazon.com/Channellock-460-4-Inch-Capacity-16-Inch/dp/B00004SBCW ------------- you know I lied , I have used these pliers on a water pump , to grab the pulley that was turn while loosing the fan nut ------------------------Friday I did 4 cylinders on a Bush Hog brand front end loader attachment mounted on a Ford tractor , 2 tilt and 2 boom , these cylinders had the locking wire that goes thru a window in side the cylinder , you have to rotate the gland as you pick the wires' trailer edge out the window then roll the gland and the wire comes out freeing the gland , these pliers made the job easy and I was able to do all 4 in 2 1/2 hours , I did leave the casing attached to the machine and only pulled out the chrome , if it was not so hard to get the wiper seals out I could have done it in 2 hours

Fishfiles

Tazza , link to large channel locks with 4 " opening , saves alot of time , if it doesn't break gland nut loose it is still very helpful once loose as you can roll with it , if you don't have a pair of these I would get one as I use this tool alot in all kinds of different applications http://www.amazon.com/Channellock-460-4-Inch-Capacity-16-Inch/dp/B00004SBCW ------------- you know I lied , I have used these pliers on a water pump , to grab the pulley that was turn while loosing the fan nut ------------------------Friday I did 4 cylinders on a Bush Hog brand front end loader attachment mounted on a Ford tractor , 2 tilt and 2 boom , these cylinders had the locking wire that goes thru a window in side the cylinder , you have to rotate the gland as you pick the wires' trailer edge out the window then roll the gland and the wire comes out freeing the gland , these pliers made the job easy and I was able to do all 4 in 2 1/2 hours , I did leave the casing attached to the machine and only pulled out the chrome , if it was not so hard to get the wiper seals out I could have done it in 2 hours
Melli , I got ripped off on my adjustable spanner wrenchs , got two the big one and the smaller one and paid alot more than that , but I do have to say they look alot heavier duty as the pins come out both sides and are two different sizes diameters and the pivot bolt is totally diferent and much heavier -----------------I really hate using that tool , it is helpful some times but will hurt you as it slips off alot ------------- old school we use to cut out a u shaped fork out of steel plate and drill the holes to match the gland nut holes and put grade 8 bolts in the holes locked in place with nuts ---------- the machine shop I use on stubborn cylinders will weld a thick aluminum bar directly to the gland nut and bang the bar with a large mall while apllying heat if nessecary , they grindand buff the bar off and you can't even tell it was welded on

Tazza

Staff member
Melli , I got ripped off on my adjustable spanner wrenchs , got two the big one and the smaller one and paid alot more than that , but I do have to say they look alot heavier duty as the pins come out both sides and are two different sizes diameters and the pivot bolt is totally diferent and much heavier -----------------I really hate using that tool , it is helpful some times but will hurt you as it slips off alot ------------- old school we use to cut out a u shaped fork out of steel plate and drill the holes to match the gland nut holes and put grade 8 bolts in the holes locked in place with nuts ---------- the machine shop I use on stubborn cylinders will weld a thick aluminum bar directly to the gland nut and bang the bar with a large mall while apllying heat if nessecary , they grindand buff the bar off and you can't even tell it was welded on
Fishfiles - we call those multi-grips. As you pointed out, after the nut is cracked, it's easy to keep going as you just grab, twist, then grab twist.
I know those style of cylinder, had be baffled the first time i had to do it, i too left the cylinder attached, much easier and fast.

7LBSSMALLIE

Fishfiles - we call those multi-grips. As you pointed out, after the nut is cracked, it's easy to keep going as you just grab, twist, then grab twist.
I know those style of cylinder, had be baffled the first time i had to do it, i too left the cylinder attached, much easier and fast.
curios does a shifter come in metric, or standard? no seirously ,not havining the book in front of me tryining to rember, been a few years but in the 331 control valve was a small (for lack of a better term lets call it aflushing valve) was locateted about 3 sections in looks like a plug (FROM LEFT top port) fix was pull and clean(NO EMERY), have boom dipper etc raised, unit off use stored pilot press to stroke spool, move sticks allowining trash to push out( this is one of those that need repeated as problem arises, once learned operator can do it in five,l if you need more info repost, i will check back periodiccaly