92 940 leak at chain case breather

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

dizmando

I am new to this forum and this machine is the first one I have owned. I have a mechanical backround in cars but very little knowledge of these machines. I have a repair manual and parts book and have searched the web for trouble shooting info with no luck. My 92 940 is pushing hydraulic fluid out of the left side chain case breather. I recently had the left rear axle replaced along with the seal. All the hydraulic oil was changed out along with the filter. The machine has about 2500 hours on it. I had the radiator recored and I changed out all of the coolant and changed the hoses and belts. The machine runs strong and there are no other leak issues. Could there be a blocked return line on the left chain case. I don't want to run the machine in fear of doing damage if the fluid is not circulating properly. I am going to call the dealer that did the work on the axle about this problem but would like to have an idea of what the issue is. I invested a substantial amount of money into the axle replacement and other repairs and maintenance and I don't want to have to pay the rates at a dealer if I can do the repair myself. Any help you all can offer will be greatly appreciated, Stephen

SkidRoe

I am not real familiar with Mustangs, but if it were a Bobcat, that would typically be a sign that the drive motor seal was leaking and hydrostaic fluid was being pushed into the chaincase.
This would normally be acompanied by a loss of fluid in your hrdraulic reservoir - the level keeps dropping with no obvious signs of a leak. It could be that your previously leaking axle seal was loosing fluid at a similar rate as the motor seal, hence why it is now coming out the breather.
Hope this helps.

OP
OP
D

dizmando

I am not real familiar with Mustangs, but if it were a Bobcat, that would typically be a sign that the drive motor seal was leaking and hydrostaic fluid was being pushed into the chaincase.
This would normally be acompanied by a loss of fluid in your hrdraulic reservoir - the level keeps dropping with no obvious signs of a leak. It could be that your previously leaking axle seal was loosing fluid at a similar rate as the motor seal, hence why it is now coming out the breather.
Hope this helps.
Skidroe, I spoke to the mechanic that did the major work on the machine today and he gave me the same explaination. It looks like I'll be replacing both drive motors since the front one has to come out to replace the rear one which is causing the problem. I have found a seemingly reasonable price for the pair online and will see if the dealer will do the installation. I'm not inclined to sell this machine to buy another since I could have issues with a different macine. I figure this machine will be about half way restored and the body is solid with no rust and I can make up the costs if I do a few jobs. It only has 2500 easy hours on it and I expect that if I keep up with maintenance it should give me 2500 more. Thank you very much for the timely information. It has given me good insite into making my decision. Stephen 92 940 Mustang with 408 Bradco backhoe attachment, smooth bucket and tooth bar, and trailer

SkidRoe

Skidroe, I spoke to the mechanic that did the major work on the machine today and he gave me the same explaination. It looks like I'll be replacing both drive motors since the front one has to come out to replace the rear one which is causing the problem. I have found a seemingly reasonable price for the pair online and will see if the dealer will do the installation. I'm not inclined to sell this machine to buy another since I could have issues with a different macine. I figure this machine will be about half way restored and the body is solid with no rust and I can make up the costs if I do a few jobs. It only has 2500 easy hours on it and I expect that if I keep up with maintenance it should give me 2500 more. Thank you very much for the timely information. It has given me good insite into making my decision. Stephen 92 940 Mustang with 408 Bradco backhoe attachment, smooth bucket and tooth bar, and trailer
Hi dizmando, you should be able to get rebuild kits for your motors instead of replacing them out right. Unless the motors that you are replacing them with are freshly rebuilt, you could be getting yourself into the same situation again.