873 leaks from control box (control rod for lifting bucket)

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

My Bobcat decided to leak fluid everywhere, originating from the control rod that lifts the bucket. The end that is at the rear of the control box. This rod connects to the left foot pedal linkage and goes thru the control box. the other end has a "C" clip on it. Can someone tell me if I can take that rod out of the control box WITHOUT removing the box or do I have to remove the control box to repair the leak, (We are in the middle of a job and need a quick fix if possible) thanks for all your assistance Michael

Tazza

Staff member
The only 'quick fix' while on a job is to keep topping the fluid up and deal with it when its back home. You will need to remove the spool (control rod as you describe it) and replace the two seals, one at either end. Hopefully you don't need to remove the control block, generally there is enough space behind it to allow you to slide it out. It must slide out the back. The end with the C clip has springs and metal balls to hold the bucket in detent position, they will fly out when the cover is removed, be careful. There is also a spring on the end to centre the spool, do not remove this, keep it attached to the spool and slide it out as one unit.
When installing new seals, watch the way they came out, install the new ones the same way.

nobull1

The only 'quick fix' while on a job is to keep topping the fluid up and deal with it when its back home. You will need to remove the spool (control rod as you describe it) and replace the two seals, one at either end. Hopefully you don't need to remove the control block, generally there is enough space behind it to allow you to slide it out. It must slide out the back. The end with the C clip has springs and metal balls to hold the bucket in detent position, they will fly out when the cover is removed, be careful. There is also a spring on the end to centre the spool, do not remove this, keep it attached to the spool and slide it out as one unit.
When installing new seals, watch the way they came out, install the new ones the same way.
When I repaired mine the détente worked fine so we just left the c clip on the cover, removed the two bolts and left the cover and balls intact on the spool.

OP
OP

We did remove the rod but it only had one seal on it. It was bad and falling apart. Are there 2 seals? I also found 2 springs and only 3 balls. The spring closest to the C clip had 2 balls, The spring inside the housing on the rod only had one ball. We were carefull not to drop anything. does not seem right....(2 spring and 4 balls makes sense) Do you happen to have a diagram of the control valve and this rod? Thanks for all your help Michael

Tazza

Staff member
We did remove the rod but it only had one seal on it. It was bad and falling apart. Are there 2 seals? I also found 2 springs and only 3 balls. The spring closest to the C clip had 2 balls, The spring inside the housing on the rod only had one ball. We were carefull not to drop anything. does not seem right....(2 spring and 4 balls makes sense) Do you happen to have a diagram of the control valve and this rod? Thanks for all your help Michael
There will be a second seal. It may be stuck behind the end cap, but it will be there. There is one either end of the spool, its needed to hold the oil back or it may leak, but from the opposite end that you replaced the seal on.
There should have been another ball, there should be two springs and 4 balls... It may have been lost when the previous owner had a fiddle.