873 F Hydraulic(?) Issues

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

jdm274

Hi guys, I'm fairly new to skid steers and this forum as well, so please forgive me if I have a few rookie questions. I'll start from the beginning in case it helps with a potential solution. I've had my 873 for about 5 months now and aside from being a little cold natured/hard to start, it performs really well. A few weeks after buying it I changed/checked all fluids and filters because the previous owner had no service records. The 2 Hydraulic filters under the cab looked pretty new, and when I tried to take them off they were on so tight I broke my filter wrench, oops. So I just decided to leave them for the moment. Well, about 3 weeks ago I was moving some dirt at my property and noticed anytime I put the machine under a load whether it was raising the boom with or without a load, or backing up a hill the engine would bog down and almost die until I stopped moving then would return to full power until I put a load on it again. Shortly thereafter I received the warning HF-2. So naturally I thought, ok the hydraulic filter(s) are so clogged that the fluid cant pass through as easy and its bogging the machine down. So I park it and change the 2 filters under the cab with new Bobcat brand filters, top off the hydraulic fluid tank, then go to fire the machine up and get back to work. Now here is my problem, upon start up the machine sounded and ran fine for about 5 seconds, then I heard the hydro pump start whining as if a load was being put on the machhine, there wasn't, and the engine starts bogging way down then back to normal rpm, then bogs down again. It does this every couple seconds or so. Any ideas? Did I miss something while installing new filters? Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated. Oh and sorry for the lengthy post.

little_fellow

My skid steer did something like that when it was running out of fuel or the fuel was freezing up or if there was air in the fuel line. Just a thought but I'm no expert.

OP
OP
J

jdm274

My skid steer did something like that when it was running out of fuel or the fuel was freezing up or if there was air in the fuel line. Just a thought but I'm no expert.
Its possible there might've been some air in the line, I'll be sure to bleed it when I go check on it in the morning. The machine currently has about a half tank of fuel and it hasnt gotten quite that cold here in Oklahoma, yet anyway haha. I was wandering if maybe I have air in the hydraulic system after changing the filters, not sure if thats even possible but it did cross my mind. Thank you for the reply

SkidRoe

Its possible there might've been some air in the line, I'll be sure to bleed it when I go check on it in the morning. The machine currently has about a half tank of fuel and it hasnt gotten quite that cold here in Oklahoma, yet anyway haha. I was wandering if maybe I have air in the hydraulic system after changing the filters, not sure if thats even possible but it did cross my mind. Thank you for the reply
Just a long shot: if you refill it with fuel, does it still act the same?
If that fixes it, you may have a crack in the fuel line in the tank, and it is intermittently picking up air. Your machine is getting to that age where this is a common occurrence.
Something to try - SR

OP
OP
J

jdm274

Just a long shot: if you refill it with fuel, does it still act the same?
If that fixes it, you may have a crack in the fuel line in the tank, and it is intermittently picking up air. Your machine is getting to that age where this is a common occurrence.
Something to try - SR
It's funny you mention that, I actually did have to replace the fuel line about 2 months ago because there was a crack in it. It acted just the way you described, get to just under half a tank and would spit and sputter and die, then near impossible to get started again. What I experienced the other day was something I've never seen it do, it was really strange. It was almost as if I was manually revving it up and down, but I never touched the throttle during the event. Something I forgot to mention, on the first start up each time I use it I have to squeeze the primer bulb about 5-7 times or it's a bastard to get started.

Tazza

Staff member
It's funny you mention that, I actually did have to replace the fuel line about 2 months ago because there was a crack in it. It acted just the way you described, get to just under half a tank and would spit and sputter and die, then near impossible to get started again. What I experienced the other day was something I've never seen it do, it was really strange. It was almost as if I was manually revving it up and down, but I never touched the throttle during the event. Something I forgot to mention, on the first start up each time I use it I have to squeeze the primer bulb about 5-7 times or it's a bastard to get started.
Check that the bleed screw is closed.
When you pump the primer bulb, does it get firm? or does it just keep going?

jerry

Check that the bleed screw is closed.
When you pump the primer bulb, does it get firm? or does it just keep going?
That's how mine acts when in cold weather the fuel filter is loaded up with wax from biodiesel. Change the fuel filter to see. Even if it is not cold you could have a bad batch of fuel.

sstec

That's how mine acts when in cold weather the fuel filter is loaded up with wax from biodiesel. Change the fuel filter to see. Even if it is not cold you could have a bad batch of fuel.
Do you run any fuel additive? Your machine was built before low sulfur diesel and bio-diesel. Also check pick-up tube in fuel tank, screen could be clogged as well. Is the tank clean? Think about doing the timing belt as well. there is a list of performance issues that can be caused by this as well. sstec

OP
OP
J

jdm274

Do you run any fuel additive? Your machine was built before low sulfur diesel and bio-diesel. Also check pick-up tube in fuel tank, screen could be clogged as well. Is the tank clean? Think about doing the timing belt as well. there is a list of performance issues that can be caused by this as well. sstec
Checked the air bleed screw and it is tight. Yes, the primer bulb does start getting harder to squeeze after 2 or 3 pumps. I don't currently run any additives, but I am definitely open to suggestions for one that works good. Thank you guys for all the suggestions, I turkey appreciate it. Sounds like I'll be taking the machine into the dealer soon to have some things checked out, including the timing belt. Thanks again fellas.

1ofU

Checked the air bleed screw and it is tight. Yes, the primer bulb does start getting harder to squeeze after 2 or 3 pumps. I don't currently run any additives, but I am definitely open to suggestions for one that works good. Thank you guys for all the suggestions, I turkey appreciate it. Sounds like I'll be taking the machine into the dealer soon to have some things checked out, including the timing belt. Thanks again fellas.
Hello. i have a 873 aswell it does sound like a fuel problem , on filters i use Wix as i'm 4 hrs away from any Bobcat filters , last winter i went through 3 fuel filters in a hour that why i switched to Wix as i get them from my local auto parts store . my main two big Hydros are Wix all though they were over $100.00 about the same as Bobcat filters . ive only had one serious bout with my 873 last winter had to change the fuel pick hose ,tube ,screen as well as the pick up pump , my 873 is a very good running machine . 1 of U

Bobcatdan

Hello. i have a 873 aswell it does sound like a fuel problem , on filters i use Wix as i'm 4 hrs away from any Bobcat filters , last winter i went through 3 fuel filters in a hour that why i switched to Wix as i get them from my local auto parts store . my main two big Hydros are Wix all though they were over $100.00 about the same as Bobcat filters . ive only had one serious bout with my 873 last winter had to change the fuel pick hose ,tube ,screen as well as the pick up pump , my 873 is a very good running machine . 1 of U
Air is quickly worked out of the hydraulic system so I doubt that is any problem. How's the engine oil level? I wonder if it's high from a leaking fuel transfer pump. Otherwise I'd check your fuel lines from the tank to the engine to make sure there isn't anywhere for it to suck air.

OP
OP
J

jdm274

Fuel transfer pump has a mesh filer. Check it.
So I got a chance to go out and check on my machine the other day finally and here is what I found. Checked all lines from tank to pump, didn't see anything out of the ordinary that would cause it to suck air. So I give the primer bulb a few squeezes and go to start the machine, it started and ran for about 30 seconds then spit and sputtered and died. Not sure why I thought of it but I primed it a few times again, started right up then I immediatley ran to the back and when it started spitting and sputtering again I sqeezed the primer bulb a few times and it stopped chugging and ran fine for a little bit. I repeated this process a few times, same result. So it acts like its not getting fuel from the transfer pump possibly. On BobcatDans suggestion I checked the engine and sure enough its quite a bit higher than the full mark. So does this sound like a bad lift/transfer pump? I've checked around and can get one for about $40, not too bad. If this is the issue, would it be pretty simple to swap out?

Bobcatdan

So I got a chance to go out and check on my machine the other day finally and here is what I found. Checked all lines from tank to pump, didn't see anything out of the ordinary that would cause it to suck air. So I give the primer bulb a few squeezes and go to start the machine, it started and ran for about 30 seconds then spit and sputtered and died. Not sure why I thought of it but I primed it a few times again, started right up then I immediatley ran to the back and when it started spitting and sputtering again I sqeezed the primer bulb a few times and it stopped chugging and ran fine for a little bit. I repeated this process a few times, same result. So it acts like its not getting fuel from the transfer pump possibly. On BobcatDans suggestion I checked the engine and sure enough its quite a bit higher than the full mark. So does this sound like a bad lift/transfer pump? I've checked around and can get one for about $40, not too bad. If this is the issue, would it be pretty simple to swap out?
Transfer pump is bad and leaking fuel into the engine, starving the fuel system. Semi common problem on dutezs.

OP
OP
J

jdm274

Transfer pump is bad and leaking fuel into the engine, starving the fuel system. Semi common problem on dutezs.
Thank you very much for the assistance, I really appreciate it. I'll go ahead and get one ordered. Is this something I can do myself or should I take it to the dealer? I'm assuming I'll need to drain my engine oil and put new in since there's fuel in it now? Thanks again

Bobcatdan

Thank you very much for the assistance, I really appreciate it. I'll go ahead and get one ordered. Is this something I can do myself or should I take it to the dealer? I'm assuming I'll need to drain my engine oil and put new in since there's fuel in it now? Thanks again
Easy 5 minute job. Definitely change oil. I'd run it long enough to get warm and then let it drain over night to get the most out. Being oil cooled, you never get all the oil out.

OP
OP
J

jdm274

Easy 5 minute job. Definitely change oil. I'd run it long enough to get warm and then let it drain over night to get the most out. Being oil cooled, you never get all the oil out.
Sounds good bud, got a new pump ordered and I'll get it changed out next week sometime. Thank you sir

walio123

Yes. bBut pump maybe stiil good.Inside the pump has a strainer. If is jammed motor has the same symptoms. Remove the plastic cap of the pump. Under it must have a strainer and canvas. Clean strainer and look for holes in canvas, whether it is very stretched. Check O ring on the cap - can suck air from there. Under canwas has 2 valve....pretty symple.

Bobcatdan

Yes. bBut pump maybe stiil good.Inside the pump has a strainer. If is jammed motor has the same symptoms. Remove the plastic cap of the pump. Under it must have a strainer and canvas. Clean strainer and look for holes in canvas, whether it is very stretched. Check O ring on the cap - can suck air from there. Under canwas has 2 valve....pretty symple.
While I know the pumps can be serviced, I never bothered. Two hoses, three bolts and new pump is on and done. While I wouldn't call them so failure prone that you should carry a spare, I have seen them leak fuel in, suck engine oil out and flat out not pump. It's its leaking fuel, the seals are definitely out, not worth fooling with. Just my 2¢.