863 G will not start

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

stevieb

Stopped running, fuel filter was half full so I filled it up. It ran 10-15 minutes and shut off. Thought it was the fuel pump so I replaced it. It is pumping fuel but will not start.

7LBSSMALLIE

couple o things to look at here. have another pump squeezy ball while running. if it picks back up up probally the fuel pump.if not run an alternate fuel source (jug o dskill) if run fine. probally pick up tube broke or clogged pick up tube, the deutez has filter in fuel pump sometimes giving a indication of dirty tank, the 8 mm nut on pump has screen behind it.(cleanable) most likley is pick up tube, can be a bitch to access depending on s/n if it is a clogged pick up be sure to replace fuel sender as well as this is the most likely cause.(another fun job)

OP
OP
S

stevieb

couple o things to look at here. have another pump squeezy ball while running. if it picks back up up probally the fuel pump.if not run an alternate fuel source (jug o dskill) if run fine. probally pick up tube broke or clogged pick up tube, the deutez has filter in fuel pump sometimes giving a indication of dirty tank, the 8 mm nut on pump has screen behind it.(cleanable) most likley is pick up tube, can be a bitch to access depending on s/n if it is a clogged pick up be sure to replace fuel sender as well as this is the most likely cause.(another fun job)
Tried what you suggested w/o any success. Machine still will not start. It seems to be getting fuel but while trying to crank it puts out black smoke. Do you know if there is a way to check the fuel shut down ? It has a new deutze engine with about 10 hours on it.

siduramaxde

Tried what you suggested w/o any success. Machine still will not start. It seems to be getting fuel but while trying to crank it puts out black smoke. Do you know if there is a way to check the fuel shut down ? It has a new deutze engine with about 10 hours on it.
take the fuel shut off solenoid out and then see if it starts. If it starts then there is a problem with the solenoid or there is no power to it. if it does start with the solenoid out you need to turn it off and the key won't work. you need to find the fuel shutoff lever before you try to start it with the solenoid out. it is a small lever about 2" long located right below the solenoid Did you check the fuses and relays?

siduramaxde

take the fuel shut off solenoid out and then see if it starts. If it starts then there is a problem with the solenoid or there is no power to it. if it does start with the solenoid out you need to turn it off and the key won't work. you need to find the fuel shutoff lever before you try to start it with the solenoid out. it is a small lever about 2" long located right below the solenoid Did you check the fuses and relays?
I might add the with the solenoid out, the engine is "open" and dirt could enter the engine so don't use the machine with the solenoid out. no oil will spill out.

OP
OP
S

stevieb

I might add the with the solenoid out, the engine is "open" and dirt could enter the engine so don't use the machine with the solenoid out. no oil will spill out.
Relay and fuses are all good but at the solenoid there is a square connector that has jucie going into it but not coming out. Is that a relay or just a connector? It looks like it is made to come apart.

7LBSSMALLIE

Relay and fuses are all good but at the solenoid there is a square connector that has jucie going into it but not coming out. Is that a relay or just a connector? It looks like it is made to come apart.
when you installed the new solenoid did you read the directions in the box.it is not plug and play. sevral wires need to be moved this is a hard hit . the new what 600 solenoid will get smoked if not followed.

7LBSSMALLIE

when you installed the new solenoid did you read the directions in the box.it is not plug and play. sevral wires need to be moved this is a hard hit . the new what 600 solenoid will get smoked if not followed.
and return of elect parts . the po;icy is there for a reason. i would like you to follow up and see if this is what happened. maybe a big yellow sticker on box might help.(looks the same if i did not know better i would install and plug up) really i did and learned the hard way. thats why i know this . ( dont blame parts dude ) not his fault.

OP
OP
S

stevieb

and return of elect parts . the po;icy is there for a reason. i would like you to follow up and see if this is what happened. maybe a big yellow sticker on box might help.(looks the same if i did not know better i would install and plug up) really i did and learned the hard way. thats why i know this . ( dont blame parts dude ) not his fault.
Finally got parts I needed in, I repalced the connector to the shut-off solenoid. I have power to the solenoid but it still isn't cranking. I took the solenoid off and tried to crank it, the solenoid arm moves but it still won't start. It has power to the solenoid when trying to start it but no power when the switch is on before trying to crank it. Could it be the switch or something totally different I will take any suggestions anyone might have. Appreciate the info I have received. The bobcat was sitting out during the winter weather, rain, etc. when I originally took the solenoid connector off it was badly rusted. It is possible I fixed the solenoid and there is a whole different problem with it starting. Thanks in advance for any help.

Rich M-37

Finally got parts I needed in, I repalced the connector to the shut-off solenoid. I have power to the solenoid but it still isn't cranking. I took the solenoid off and tried to crank it, the solenoid arm moves but it still won't start. It has power to the solenoid when trying to start it but no power when the switch is on before trying to crank it. Could it be the switch or something totally different I will take any suggestions anyone might have. Appreciate the info I have received. The bobcat was sitting out during the winter weather, rain, etc. when I originally took the solenoid connector off it was badly rusted. It is possible I fixed the solenoid and there is a whole different problem with it starting. Thanks in advance for any help.
stevieb, I don't know if this has any bearing on your problem, but here goes. In the first line of your post you said it would not crank. I had a situation on my 873 were it would not crank. I found the power source to the starter, it turns out you have power at the back of the altenator. There was corrosion on the terminals going in side the wires. I cut back the wires and crimped and soldered them to the wires. That fixed my problem, now this may help you if your problem is electrical. Rich M-37

OP
OP
S

stevieb

stevieb, I don't know if this has any bearing on your problem, but here goes. In the first line of your post you said it would not crank. I had a situation on my 873 were it would not crank. I found the power source to the starter, it turns out you have power at the back of the altenator. There was corrosion on the terminals going in side the wires. I cut back the wires and crimped and soldered them to the wires. That fixed my problem, now this may help you if your problem is electrical. Rich M-37
Thanks for the info. Instead of saying "IT WOULD NOT CRANK" I sholud have said it will not start. It turns over good , just can't get it to start.

7LBSSMALLIE

Thanks for the info. Instead of saying "IT WOULD NOT CRANK" I sholud have said it will not start. It turns over good , just can't get it to start.
with solenoid off stick finger in hole and push on fuel lever should push in and spring back out. its possible that one or more inj pumps were not properly indexed on install binding fuel rail. which would cause no start, lever out =run. in= off.

OP
OP
S

stevieb

with solenoid off stick finger in hole and push on fuel lever should push in and spring back out. its possible that one or more inj pumps were not properly indexed on install binding fuel rail. which would cause no start, lever out =run. in= off.
Checked the spring lever and it did come back out. The fuel hoses felt soft so I replaced them, ran fuel out of a bucket still just rolls black smoke.

Tazza

Staff member
Checked the spring lever and it did come back out. The fuel hoses felt soft so I replaced them, ran fuel out of a bucket still just rolls black smoke.
Is there any signs of life? I wonder if the timing belt went? Can you remove the rocker cover and look at the push rods? If the timing is out, the push rods will bend in an effort to save the engine from serious damage.

OP
OP
S

stevieb

Is there any signs of life? I wonder if the timing belt went? Can you remove the rocker cover and look at the push rods? If the timing is out, the push rods will bend in an effort to save the engine from serious damage.
I removed the rocker cover today and checked the push rods, they were not bent at all. While the muffler was out of my way I sprayed WD 40 in turbo and it still would not hit. Could this be an electrical problem ? The seat bar light comes on when you turn on the switch and stays on while trying to start. Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated.

skidsteer.ca

I removed the rocker cover today and checked the push rods, they were not bent at all. While the muffler was out of my way I sprayed WD 40 in turbo and it still would not hit. Could this be an electrical problem ? The seat bar light comes on when you turn on the switch and stays on while trying to start. Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Can you roll it over by hand to feel if the motor has compression? A compression tester would be handy to see where its is at. at 10 hours it should be past a major failure.
If the valves are good, a can of either should make it fire, (go easy with it), be sure to pull your glow plug relay before using either though.
Never have tried wd40 as starting fluid, but either will make a engine fire even if it has poor compression, just don't give it more then a little at a time, while cranking. as it can cause pre ignition/detonation also, if you use to much. If it runs on either, maybe your injection pump is the trouble. If it won't fire at all, I'd blame compression and dig there.
Ken

Tazza

Staff member
Can you roll it over by hand to feel if the motor has compression? A compression tester would be handy to see where its is at. at 10 hours it should be past a major failure.
If the valves are good, a can of either should make it fire, (go easy with it), be sure to pull your glow plug relay before using either though.
Never have tried wd40 as starting fluid, but either will make a engine fire even if it has poor compression, just don't give it more then a little at a time, while cranking. as it can cause pre ignition/detonation also, if you use to much. If it runs on either, maybe your injection pump is the trouble. If it won't fire at all, I'd blame compression and dig there.
Ken
Very odd. It should have jumped a little with the addition of WD40. Even if the fuel is turned off on the engine, it should have fired.
I agree with Ken, see if you can crank it over by hand, does it resist? if so, its a sign of compression, if not you have no compression. It may still pay to check the compression with a tester, then you will know what state the engine is in.

OP
OP
S

stevieb

Very odd. It should have jumped a little with the addition of WD40. Even if the fuel is turned off on the engine, it should have fired.
I agree with Ken, see if you can crank it over by hand, does it resist? if so, its a sign of compression, if not you have no compression. It may still pay to check the compression with a tester, then you will know what state the engine is in.
Turned over with a socket & a pull handle, it felt like it had good compression. I will try to find a compression tester next week. There is a box on the right hand side of the engine compartment with wires that come out of the bottom of it, is this a computer or could it be a shut down device? This machine was used as a rental at one time.

Tazza

Staff member
Turned over with a socket & a pull handle, it felt like it had good compression. I will try to find a compression tester next week. There is a box on the right hand side of the engine compartment with wires that come out of the bottom of it, is this a computer or could it be a shut down device? This machine was used as a rental at one time.
It could be, we would need a picture to know. This engine is mostly mechanical, the only electrical part is the fuel shut off. It still should smoke or pop with the addition of ether or WD40 while cranking. The shut off solenoid only cuts fuel going to the engine, if you get fuel in there through the inlet, it should still fire.